Please sign in to post.

Rhine River Cruise Question

Hello-

I am going to be in Cologne Germany in September of 2010.
I am leaving Cologne the morning of 09/17...I need to be in Munich by that evening.

Question: Is there any doable way to squeeze in a rhine cruise-say between Koblenz and bacharach. It Iooks like i should be able to catch a train from Bacharach at 4:30pm to arrive in Munich by 9:16.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Leslie

Posted by
19240 posts

So, you are just going to leave Köln in the morning, take the train to Koblenz, the boat to Bacharach, and leave on the train to Munich. You don't plan on seeing anything on the Rhein on the way. Sad.

There is a boat that leaves Koblenz at around 11:00, getting to Bacharach in plenty of time to catch the 4:30 PM train connection to Munich (I assume there is one).

Going up the Rhein, against the current, from Koblenz to Bacharach, would be an excruciatingly slow trip. At least, don't waste your entire day on the boat. Take the train to all the way to St. Goar, see the castle ruins, then pick up the boat to Bacharach at 2:20 PM.

Posted by
6946 posts

You need to see something, as Lee suggests. Here's what I'd do to maximize your time:

7:53 train from Cologne to Braubach w/25 min change in Koblenz; stow bags in locker in Koblenz, arrive 9:22 in Braubach, tour Marksburg at 10:00:

www.marksburg.de

(This is one of the premier castle visits you can make in Europe.)

Grab a bite, catch 12:05 boat south past several castles to St. Goar (arrive 14:20)

Look around for an hour, eat, catch 15:33 train to Koblenz, arrive 16:01. Get bags, catch 16:17 train to Munich, arrive 21:16.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks to everyone for all the great info.

Russ I think I will go with your plan. I looked at the Marksburg castle
website-WoW!

I sure wish I did have more time to spend but need to be in Munich for the opening ceremony of Oktoberfest.

Thanks again...this forum is a real resource.

Leslie