Please sign in to post.

Rental Car Insurance

My credit card will cover my rental (CDW), but do I need Liability Coverage for other cars involved?

PS This is for Germany and Austria.

Posted by
10344 posts

A separate but related issue is whether your US medical insurance would cover your medical in the event of an accident. Some US citizens have been unpleasantly surprised to find that their medical insurance does not cover them in Europe. Travel medical policies can be purchased for relatively low premiums, given the potential financial exposure of an unexpected accident.

Posted by
8700 posts

Liability coverage wasn't an issue when I rented a car in France, but I don't know about Germany and Austria. I suggest you call Auto Europe's US toll-free number: 1-888-223-5555.

Posted by
1167 posts

Be sure to check the details of your credit card coverage. I know that some coverage is void if you take ANY of the coverage offered by the rental company. Also check your personal car insurance. They may cover you for liability when driving any car, including a rental.

Posted by
12 posts

i rent cars in germany often. liability insurance is a must. if not, you will have to give them a 300-500 euro deposit. your best bet it to get the insurance. especially if you'll be driving around, instead of just a short point a to b.

like the post states before, it's illegal not to have medical insurance in germany. make sure your health insurance is covered in germany. like back in the states, it's fine without, but if something happens, you're screwed.

happy travels.

ps. no turn on red!

Posted by
313 posts

Derrick, I'm sure it varies by country, but to rent a car from AutoEurope in France, they by law cover fire and 3rd party liability. (The CDW, etc. is additional in their inclusive rates, which are cheaper to get through them ahead of time, rather than at the counter.)

Then, check with all of your insurances. Between the credit card coverage, our car insurance policy and umbrella, as well as our medical coverage, we are covered for the rest of the car rental in Europe. But we checked with each of our providers to make sure what they covered and documented it.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for all the replies!

I emailed Avis and they say that Liability insurance is included with all rentals in Germany. Apparently in most countries it is a legal requirment that liability is include with rentals.

PS My company's health insurance does cover us overseas (we do a fair amount of business travel abroad).

Thank you all again for the info.