Please sign in to post.

$494 for 3 people r/t Basel to Paris???

I'm in shock. I just looked at prices for our round-trip TGV ride from Basel to Paris, and back again for two adults, one teenager, in second class mid-June. This is the cheapest price sbb.ch offers, so no refunds, nor exchanges. Reservations are included. Am I missing something about pricing, or is this typical for Summer train travel? Oh my golly!

Posted by
9099 posts

Are you're saying it's $494 total for three people, round trip? If so, that works out to $82 each way per person...it's a reasonable fare. Paris is over 350 miles away from Basel.

Posted by
19092 posts

If you book online, well in advance (up to 92 days) on the Bahn website, from Basel Bad Bhf to Paris, via Strasbourg, you can get Europa-Spezial Frankreich tickets for as low as €39 per person each way. And, if the teenage is under 15, they're free.

Posted by
15 posts

Would most of you recommend locking in the higher priced tickets for the extra $105 to purchase refundable/exchangeable tickets? Even though our hotel is already reserved, it seems a little "insurance" policy of $105 would be a good thing. We'd then be able to change them within three days of our scheduled travel day. Is it still safe to assume the train station in Basel has long-term parking available? We were able to get reasonable rates at the hotel in Paris, so I'm going to have to look at this as "it all balances out somehow", and just enjoy every minute of our time there. This means the world to us, so...the $$$ can't wind up being the main focus here, even though some of us are really struggling financially. The airline tickets alone were $5,000, so................ here we come, Europe!!! Thank you, everyone, for all your insight and suggestions!

Posted by
9099 posts

There is a large underground parking garage at the Basel SBB station. I know because I made a wrong turn once and accidentally walked through it:) I have no idea what the rates are.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you, Michael. We actually called. They will charge 100 CHF for the three days we'll be parked there. They want to be paid in CHF, though, not Euros. I'm thinking we'll exchange Euros for Swiss Francs at the station right before we retrieve our car.

Posted by
833 posts

Liebchen--Instead of converting your euros for francs before departing, I would use an ATM and simply pull out enough francs to pay your 100 CHF fee. There should be ATMs in the train station, and you can do this conveniently. If you're spending time in Switzerland you will likely be using francs anyways. (Yes, in some places you can get away with using euros, but you will get a better deal with francs).

Posted by
19092 posts

Liebchen, why do you continue to dwell on parking at the Basel SBB? Check your other thread. You can leave your car in Bad Säckingen and take the train to Basel. There is a Bahnhof in Bad Säckingen, with a parking area. Perhaps could leave your car there. If you are staying in public accommodations, you should get a Konuskarte, which will cover the train to Basel Bad Bhf (but not the tram to Basel SBB)

Posted by
15 posts

Lee wrote:
"Liebchen, why do you continue to dwell on parking at the Basel SBB. Check your other thread. You can leave your car in Bad Säckingen and take the train to Basel. There is a Bahnhof in Bad Säckingen, with a parking area. Perhaps could leave your car there. If you are staying in public accommodations, you should get a Konuskarte, which will cover the train to Basel Bad Bhf (but not the tram to Basel SBB)" ..."Continue to dwell on"... Lee...if, for some reason, my posts "bother" you, then by all means, do not bother responding. There are plenty other people who don't mind giving advice to fellow travelers, and they do it without attitude. I already explained that getting to Basel from where we're staying in Germany is best done by driving there directly ourselves, which gives us the added advantage of having our own transportation when we return to Basel. No big deal, not choosing to follow YOUR advice, so don't make it one.