Please sign in to post.

Swiss transfer ticket

I have five transfer tickets and I intend to use these on the following routes:
1. Zurich-Interlaken
2. Interlaken - Jungfraugh and return
3. Interlaken - Lucerne
4. Lucerne - Mt Titlis and return
5. Zurich - Lugano
I am not sure that all of these journeys could be covered using transfer tickets. Could someone please confirm that its possible or else shall we go for a Swiss pass (which is turning out to be a more expensive option)?

Posted by
17245 posts

That is indeed too bad.

Maybe you can point out the error to your travel agent and he or she can try to exchange the Transfer Tickets for a suitable Swiss pass?

Perhaps print out the information from the Swiss train website and show that:

http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/produkttexte.php?passid=3

It clearly indicates that the Transfer Ticket can only be used from the border or airport city to your destination in Switzerland, and from there back to the border or airport when you leave, covering one day's journey in each direction. And travel has to be by a direct route, so it won't take you up the Jungraujoch or Mt. Titlis.

Posted by
17245 posts

Hello Saurabh, I am not sure what you mean by "transfer ticket". There is a type of pass called a Swiss Transfer Ticket that can be used for one day's travel from the airport or border to your destination in Switzerland, and then for your last day's travel from your location in Switzerland back to the border or airport. These cost in US dollars, $118 in second class, so 5 of them would be $590.

I hope that is not what you are talking about, as this Transfer Ticket only can be used on your first and last day of travel in Switzerland, not for interim travel and not up Mt. Titlis or the Jungfrau. Also, the Swiss Transfer ticket covers 2 days of travel, so one ticket could be used for Zürich to Interlaken and then for Zürich to Lugano (or From Luzern to Lugano isf that is where you are starting that day.)

Or do you have 5 of them because there are 5 of you traveling together? If that is the case, then you can use the Transfer Ticket for your Day 1 and Day 5 of travel. For the rest, consider a half-Fare Card, which is the only pass that will give you 50% off the trip up the Jungfraujoch. If you are starting in and returning to Interlaken, it will just about pay for itself (99CHF) on that trip. Full fare for that trip from Interlaken is 193.80 for a return ticket. (An early morning trip is slightly less).

PLease clarify what type of "transfer tickets" you have, if you already have purchased them, and how many are traveling. Then we can better help you.

Posted by
19240 posts

Lola, considering she has five transfer tickets and enumerates five legs of travel, I'm thinking she was planning to use them for those five legs.

And you are right. The transfer tickets is for one day of travel from an airport or border crossing to a destination in Switzerland and for another day of travel from that destination to any airport or border crossing. [Note: although the Swiss call it a round trip, which would imply back to the same airport or border crossing, that's not what they mean.]

Posted by
17245 posts

I am just hoping they didn't buy 5 Transfer Tickets thinking they could be used for the trips designated as 2, 3, and 4.

But if there are actually 5 people traveling together, then it's OK---they can use the Transfer Tickets for days 1 & 5 as Lee and I explained. Then use a Half-Fare card for the rest, assuming they are going up the Jungfraujoch.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Loa and Lee. As Lee mentioned I have five transfer cards and was planning to use one for each leg of my journey. I didnt know that the transfer card can only be used on the first and last day of my stay in Switzerland. Looks like my travel agent has goofed up big time and I should instead be using a Swiss pass.

Posted by
7209 posts

You'll get much more information and probably more reliable information here than with most "Travel Agents".