Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card or Travelcard

Can someone help decide which is best for me? This only applies to the UK, correct? I'm traveling from Stratford-Upon-Avon to London on the Bahn, so this leg doesn't apply, correct? I'm riding the tube from Marylebone to King's Cross (one way). Do I need a pass at all?

Also, I'm traveling with my 12-yr. old daughter. Does she need a youth Oyster Card? If so, what station (TI?) should she pick it up at?

Thanks!
Jonathan

Posted by
780 posts

I am not sure on the youth card. You can get a regular Oyster card at any tube station or Heathrow. I think there is a 3 pound refundable deposit.

Travel cards are for at least 7 days worth of Tube and bus travel so that probably wont be necessary unless youre going to be travelling around London for a week. They have cancelled the 3 day pass.

How many times will you be traveling on the tube?

You can get a refundable pay as you go Oyster card but that is only worth it if you use it about 2 or 3 times a day at least, because it caps off at a certain amount.

Not sure since it has gone up since I was there in November but it was capping off at 5.40 per day and a ride each way per single ticket was 4.40, so if youre only riding it once, you wont save any money.

Travel cards are mostly for people staying in London or surrounding areas that are riding the tube or buses alot each day.

Posted by
8700 posts

Yes. Buy a single adult ticket for £4.00 and a single child ticket for £2.00. Total cost: £6.00.

Posted by
8700 posts

Oyster cards and travelcards are only good for travel within greater London so while they're good on some National Rail trains within the London travel zones, they are not good for your trip from Stratford-upon-Avon to London.

While the 3-day travelcard has been phased out, it's still possible to buy a 1-day travelcard as well as a 7-day one. An off-peak (after 09:30 on weekdays and anytime on weekends), 1-day, zone 1-2 adult travelcard costs £5.60. The single fare for rides in zone 1 is £4.00.

A single fare of £0.65 will be charged to an Oyster photocard for children 11-15 who have one. They can travel all day for a total of £1.00. Children in that age range do not need an Oyster photocard if they pay cash for single fares (£2.00).

Posted by
13 posts

OK. We're only riding this thing once one way. Are we better off just to get a single fare and not worry about the Oyster card / travelcard / youth Oyster card?