Please sign in to post.

getting many medications through airline customs...

hi, all. i am 55 and have had diabetes for 52 years, wear an insulin infusion pump and am currently taken 14 (yep - 14) prescriptions - but it's a great life!! i walk with a cane and consider myself mobile but not agile. my son and i are going to ireland for 3 weeks - we leave in a week. i am concerned with getting my large bag of medications and my even larger bag of pump necessities, which both have to be carryons, through the usairways and aer lingus counters and then through customs. any suggestions? also, i've never been out of North America, so am not sure how long the customs check will take. should i arrange for a wheelchair while waiting? i really have a "thing" about appearing worse off than i am. any comments greatly appreciated. many thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Carolyn, are you familiar with the TSA exceptions (exceptions to the usual carry-on rules) for medical supplies, which are described on the TSA website?

Maybe you've already been through the TSA exception drill on domestic travel?

If not, these are described on their website.

Best wishes on this. I admire your attitude and approach to this challenge.

Hopefully others will jump into this thread with more specific suggestions on the medical supplies issue--but a lot of this is on the TSA website and the drill on this side of the Atlantic will be about the same as you've maybe already encountered on domestic flights.

(Note to others: This is double posted. Maybe we can get all the replies under this thread, so repliers can read what other repliers have said.)