Please sign in to post.

Best way to travel from Rome to Positano

I am arriving in Rome and need the fastest/cheapest/best way to get to Positano. Very confused as to whether I should get a taxi all the way from Rome or catch a train to Naples and then a bus to Positano. Does anyone have any advice? Grazie!

Posted by
3313 posts

MMM - It's a little complicated but easy to do. From Rome take the train to Naples. At the central station in Naples, go down a flight of stairs and buy a ticket on the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento. You pass Pompeii on the way.

In Sorrento you go to the piazza just below the train station and take a SITA bus to Positano.

You may have a few minutes between transfers so enjoy a gelato and being in Italy!

Posted by
2 posts

Grazie, Doug! That's what I was thinking from everything I have read, but it certainly helps to hear it from an actual person who has done it before! Ciao!

Posted by
83 posts

You can also take a boat from Naples to Positano.

This is the company website:
http://www.metrodelmare.com/
We took the Capri-Positano line, I think you would have to transfer 1 time. It was fun, fast. Most likely you'll take the circumvesuviana-to-bus (watch for pickpockets, and it's ok to give a coin to the gypsy kids playing accordion) since the transfer is right there at the Naples station. However, consider using it on the way back for a different experience.ciao!

Posted by
241 posts

We took train to naples then cab for a ride of about 1-2 miles to the main ferry dock in naples, from whence we took a ferry to Sorrento. I understand there are several ferry companies, but we took first at hand which turned out to be the largest and nicest. They don't run many trips. It left in the time frame of 1:30-2:30 in the afternoon. Trip to Sorrento took perhaps 25 minutes. www.metrodelmare.com lines MM2 and MM3 make the trip. Ticket sellers for that line are on ocean side of ticket selling windows in a separate kiosk.
Great boat ride.