Please sign in to post.

Carry-on Luggage

I am comparing options between Lufthansa and United. United allows a 22x14x9 bag and a personal item (purse, laptop bag, etc.) but I'm a little unclear of Lufthansa's allowances. Do they allow the same?
We would be flying in the economy class and both of us have bags measuring 22x14x9 and an additional item (purse, laptop bag).
We would like to avoid checking bags on the way there. I have had terrible luck with luggage getting misplaced or not quite making it on the plane when there's a transfer, I've learned to pack light and would like to make the most of it.

Thanks!

Posted by
1893 posts

I've flown Lufthansa several times, not had a problem with the carry on size you mention. Last trip to Germany, my son and I took backpacks as carry on, internal framed ones. My son's measured a bit longer than 22", but we had no problem getting it on the plane. It wasn't crammed full, and fit fine in the overhead. The gate agents didn't pull him aside to check the measurements...we just got on the plane with the frame packs on our backs, and our daypacks in our hands.

I feel like fewer flyers do carry on on overseas travel than on domestic flights. Not had a problem so far with carry on to Europe.

IMO, you should be just fine....

Posted by
11 posts

Elizabeth, one other thing to look at is weight restrictions on carry-ons. Lufthansa allows 8 kgs which is about 17.5 lbs, but United might allow more. Their website says you can bring 44 lbs between carry-on and checked bags. I flew Swiss last year (also an 8kg limit), and they absolutely weighed my bag. Just something else to consider.

Posted by
16084 posts

The 44 lb weight limit on checked and carry-on bags is strictly for flights within Asia.

On all other international flights, you can have up to 50 lbs of checked luggage. There is no mention of a carry-on weight limit for UAL.

Posted by
19240 posts

When I was still using the ETBD Convertible bag (22x14x9), I flew in and out of Frankfurt on Lufthansa 3 times without a problem. I even put it in the Lufthansa "box" at the gate. My current bag is slightly smaller (21x13x9), and I've flow Lufthansa twice with it.

Of course, I pack light, and I have always been under the 8 kg weight limit.

Posted by
12313 posts

I think the difference is United goes by size (21x14x9) while Lufthansa goes by weight.

You can get a lot more than 18 pounds in a bag that fits the United carry on size limits - but don't, packing light is so much better.

You can also make your 21x14x9 bag too big to carry on by stuffing it completely full.

Both airlines, in my experience, won't bother you if your bag seems reasonable and you can handle it yourself - but it's better to be certain your bag is legal than worry about the one time they decide to strictly enforce the rules.

Posted by
1568 posts

I've never had a problem with Lufthansa. I made sure I stayed under the weight with my day back pack which measures 15 x 9 x 10 expanded. Inside it is my PacSafe Stash Safe which is basically a fanny pack.

Posted by
44 posts

I'll add a little different perspective on Lufthansa. When we flew home from Europe with them last year, we travelled from Athens to Frankfurt; and then Frankfurt to Seattle.

On our flight from Athens to Frankfurt we were required to check our RS Convertible Carry-On's which we expected to "carry-on". It was a huge hassle since we spent the night in Frankfurt and flew out in the morning; so had to throw a change of clothes in the smaller personal item carry-ons they allowed.

I suspect that the problem emanated in our trip from Athens to Frankfurt; where we were on smaller connecting flight and plane.

Moral to the story.......there are no guarantees when it comes to what you will be able to haul onto a plane.