Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam to Germany

What is the fastest/cheapest way to get from Amsterdam to Munich?

Posted by
19092 posts

The trouble with flying is that by the time you account for time getting to the airport, preboard (security) time, flight time, getting from the airport to your final destination, you won't save that much time.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi where are you seeing the 39euro trains on bahn.de I can only find 89euro and it's 11.5hrs. I will be leaving July 28th...

Posted by
3 posts

It says I can't even book it until 92days before...how can they be sold out already?

Posted by
8942 posts

They aren't sold out. They aren't even for sale yet. Try different dates, upt to 90 days before your trip. There you will see the good sales on Deutsche Bahn.

Posted by
873 posts

Prices on bahn.de won't show up if you are looking up dates that are more than 3 months from today. If your actual travel dates fall into that category, try to look up journeys that are within that 3-month-from-now window, on the same day of the week as you plan to travel. That should give you a good idea.

We plan to take a City Night Line train (also sold on bahn.de) from Munich to Amsterdam on our trip this fall. Look into it, if you think you might want to take a night train. Couchettes would cost you from 79EUR.

Posted by
182 posts

take the train. best train system in the world. amsterdam central to munchen hbf 6 trains per day, around 7 hours, one at night if you like. relax, read, look at your photos, eat, drink. i always think first class is worth it considering comfort and safety. have fun be safe.

Posted by
19092 posts

First, July 31 is still over 3 month out.

That is a popular route. I'm sure they only offer a few tickets at the lowest fares, and those are immediately purchased.

You might try several things. Uncheck "fastest connections". That might lead you to some less popular routes, routes with discount fares still available. Second, uncheck "all" under "modes of transport" and check "without ICE". That won't give you the fastest routes, but you might find some routes that others haven't already booked. Third, get a map and find some stations not on the shortest routes, but close (like Hannover). Put them in as "via" with 00:00 for the dwell time.

I'm not saying any of these will work, but it is worth a try.

Posted by
235 posts

Last summer I flew this route on Lufthansa for $160 RT. Both cities have easy access to the airport, so it might be worthwhile to investigate. Trains are great, but I'm really over them if flying is cheaper.

Posted by
19092 posts

"Last summer I flew this route on Lufthansa for $160 RT.

$160? For how many people? Have you been paying attention? If you book early enough, you can get train fare for €41,50 pP (about $57), one way, with seat reservations. Even a month out I found fares for less than $100 one way.

That's 8½ hrs, vs probably 6 for flying, after taking into account to/from airports and pre-board time, as well as flight time, but certainly a lot less hassle and nicer seating. Plus you can take along as much luggage as you can carry.