Please sign in to post.

Florence or Siena

My Husband and I planning a trip to Italy soon but I'm extremely confused about what route to take. We land in Rome and spend 3 nights there. We then plan to visit the Tuscany region for 4 days. I've shortlisted 2 places to stay, one in San Gimignano and one nera Siena. We then go on to Venice for 2 days.

While we plan to hire a car in Tuscany, I'm not sure how we should get from rome to siena. one option is to take the train to florence, spend the day there and drive to siena in the evening.

The bigger problem is how do we get from siena to venice in the shortest time. we have very little time in venice as it is so want to get there as soon as possible.

Should we make our base in Florence instead of siena so getting to venice will be easier?

help please!!!!

Posted by
61 posts

Siena has a train station, but it is in the outskirts of the city. On the other hand, Florence SMN train station is only a 7 minute hike from the duomo area. Most trains from Siena to Venice have a change in Florence. I am for Florence also because that is my all time favourite city in Europe.

Posted by
354 posts

hi Diksha, you'll get more replies to your question if you post it under "To the Boot - Italy". From Rome, you can travel to Siena by bus (direct from Rome's Tiburtina Station) or train (normally you'll have to change trains at Chiusi). The journey time is about the same. Siena's train station is outside the city walls whereas the bus drops you off right inside the city. You can rent a car in Siena, if you're picking up your car there check with the rental agency on the best location to do so. From Siena to Venice, the train journey takes between four to four-and-a-half hours and you'll probably change trains in Florence. Check train schedules at www.trenitalia.com. If you're renting a car in Florence, be aware of the ZTLs (restricted traffic zones - driving through them will get you a fine!). There are some threads about ZTLs under the "in the Boot" section. Ultimately, which base you choose depends on your interests, but since you have so little time, it might be more convenient to stay in Florence. Florence is a bigger city and can feel crowded, full of traffic, tourists, etc. but it's also full of places of interest and wonderful art. Siena is smaller, has a strong medieval character and when the tourist crowds leave at the end of the day, is mellow and calm. You could stay in Florence and make a day trip to Siena - you can get there easily by bus; or cut one day from Tuscany and spend a third day in Venice. Happy travels!

Posted by
306 posts

If you have never been to Florence I would suggest staying in Florence. Spend your two days exploring Florence instead of renting a car and driving around Tuscany. Save that for your next trip when you have more time in the area.

If you have been to Florence before and want to spend a couple of days exploring the region, Siena is a great home base. The fastest way to Siena from Rome is by bus.

While I have not traveled from Siena to Venice, my guess is that it would be faster for you to take a bus to Florence and then catch a train in Florence. The bus stops right by the train station in Florence and it is the fastest way to Florence from Siena.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks all for your suggestions.

we've decided to rent a place just on the outskrts of Florence. That way we can explore Florence as well as some parts of Tuscany. what do you think? we also save time getting to Venice.

This is our first trip to Italy and I'm sooo excted.

Posted by
354 posts

Diksha, I'm sure you'll love Italy! as I mentioned in my earlier post, since you have so little time, basing yourself in Florence is probably more convenient. Do all the research possible on driving in Tuscany. One place to start: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy. As you get further along in your planning, you can always ask the folks at this Helpline for more tips! I haven't driven in Italy so I'm afraid I can't be of more help.

Posted by
1003 posts

diksha, I think one of the most important things to keep in mind is that Italian culture is about slowing down, enjoying life. That means visiting street markets, strolling down shopping arcades, sitting and having an espresso or wine at a cafe, taking long meals, walking slowly so you can enjoy all that surrounds you, etc. As long as you take time to smell the roses, if you will, you will have a great time! Don't worry about trying to see everything in a few days, start planning your return trip instead ;)

Posted by
3 posts

All of you have really put my mind at ease. I've been driving myself crazy trying to plan the perfect itinerary so that we don't miss out on anything!you'e sooo right. We just need to get there and enjoy our surroundings. usually i'm such an explorer and love walking around, stumbling on little hidden gems wherever we travel. This time however, I've been thinking tooo much.

really looking forward to our holiday now...a personal thanks to all of you:))