Please sign in to post.

Reservations?

Im traveling in Sept=Oct and was wondering if reservations in advance while im still in the US are neccesary. I will be traveling with a Eurail pass and wonder how that changes how you make reservations on an overnight train. Also the 7pm rule is confusing so if someone could clarify this that would be great. If you have recomendations on what kind of sleeper to take please let me know. Thank you!

Posted by
3313 posts

Julia - You might look at Rick's information on this website about making train reservations. Also, the Man in Seat61 (www.seat61.com) is a wealth of such information.

Posted by
1568 posts

Before boarding the train (or bus or boat covered 100% by your pass), fill in that day's date in ink in one of the blank boxes on your pass. A railpass day normally runs from midnight to midnight, but a direct overnight train or boat journey uses up only one of your travel days if you board after 7 p.m. (this is known as the "7 p.m. rule"). In that case, you just write the next day's date on your flexipass. Some smaller countries or regions don't offer qualifying night trains (and the rule does not apply with Swiss, Czech, or London Plus passes). If the very first use of your flexipass is for an overnight ride, you still write the next day's date, though your pass will be validated for the actual date you board. All rides must be started and completed within the validity period of the pass.

Hope this helps.

http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/usepass.htm#using

Posted by
1568 posts

In other words if you board your "Night Train" for instance 19:01 (7:01 pm) you enter the next day's date. If you board the train on the 20th you enter the 21st.

It is best to enter date on your Rail Pass just before you board.

Posted by
8700 posts

As Doug said, check the railpasses section on this site and on seat61.com. Rick says that it is good to reserve accommodations on night trains well in advance because popular routes often sell out. Six-bunk and four-bunk couchettes are either mixed or female-only (your choice). I think that paying a little more for the extra space and comfort of a fou-bunk couchette is well worth it. You can go for one of a variety of sleepers, but the accommodation surcharge for those is pretty pricey. See the reservation price list in Rick's railpasses section.