Please sign in to post.

Train from Nice to Milan

Hi -- we're trying to book two train tickets from Nice to Milan on Sunday July 4th 2010 -- can anyone tell me the best way to go about this? Should I be looking at Italian or French trains? Does it even matter? Also, I had thought that the trains went on sale 90 days in advance but that doesn't seem to be the case ... does anyone know when I should realistically be trying to book?
Thanks so much!!
Alison

Posted by
4 posts

Ventimiglia has a huge huge outdoor market on Fridays, if you are inclined to alter you plans at all. It's really just a huge flea market but the espresso was really good. I think it's the first stop inside Italy, coming from Nice.

Posted by
8700 posts

Yes, tickets usually can be booked 90 days in advance. However, for your route there are two problems. 1. The Trenitalia site does not accept North American credit cards for online booking (your card will work at Italian stations). 2. New timetables will go into effect throughout much of Europe on 13 June. Trenitalia is always the last national rail company to upload its timetables. It may be early May before they do so.

The new timetables will vary by only a few minutes, if at all. To see detailed current timetables go to www.bahn.de and click on the drop-down flag menu for English. Enter a date for any Sunday up to and including 6 June. After you get summary timetables for Nice-Milan, click on the arrow to the left of each departure time to see the connecting points. You will have to make a minimum of one connection (Ventimiglia).

Wait until May and then book your tickets on the tgv-europe site, following the directions given by Steve.