Please sign in to post.

Travel in Europe

I have 12 days in Europe; 4 each in Germany, France and Netherlands. I am over 60. What are your recommendations on tickets either on buses/trains? I can take trains between major cities, but would like some bus travel in-country. Eurorail pass seems too expensive for this amount of time.

Posted by
23273 posts

Really not sure what you are asking. We always take the train or the bus simply because it is easier. Bus are cheaper than trains and for short trip can be nearly as quick. Sometimes the over 60 crowd can get a discount but you have ask. We normally buy out tickets a day or two before we go. In the past that didn't make much difference but now a many railroads to an advance ticket pricing by giving discounts for advance purchase. We often miss that but it the price we pay for flexibility. In all of our travels we have never found a sold out train or bus.

Posted by
6647 posts

"...would like some bus travel in-country"

These countries you are visiting generally rely on rail travel for inter-city transportation.

You are probably right that Eurailpasses are probably too pricey for the trips you have planned, but what trips are those, exactly?

You should indicate what cities and towns you plan to visit if you want some good advice on how to get there cheaply.

Posted by
12040 posts

In the Netherlands, buses usually function as a complement to the rail system, meaning that most buslines originate from a train station to cover the areas not served by rail. Other than the tram systems in the largest cities, you probably won't find yourself using the bus system unless you plan to visit a certain small town or village. For getting around the Netherlands by train, just buy your tickets on the day you travel. The passes the national rail system offers are aimed more for everyday commuters than for casual tourists. Within Amsterdam and other large cities, you can either buy a pass for the tram system (usually sold in or close to the rail station) or just pay as you go.

Posted by
693 posts

Anne, check out www.eurolines.com. Since you didn't mention the major stops on your trip it's hard to get specific. However, you should be able to find some long distance bus connections. Some of the routes are probably more scenic then the trains' and, as someone else said, likely cheaper. Have fun on your trip!

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for your assistance. I am kind of "winging it" letting serendipity decide my destinations. In Germany, I can take trians to the main cities & hopefully find a bus to the countryside to my ancestor's farming community. Am doing a mix of train and bus in France as some places in which I'm interested have to be reached by bus. I think buying individual tickets might be best as I want to make stops along the way, where the direct trains go.
The info on Netherlands was most helpful. Thanks to you all.