Please sign in to post.

Euros

Should I visit AAA & have them buy me Euros before my trip to Paris so I have them readily available when I arrive, or should I get them at CDG airport or an ATM machine? What fees are involved at the airport and ATM?

Posted by
10344 posts

Airport exchange bureaus are generally the most expensive places to get euros.

About half of those reporting in here buy a small amount of euros at AAA or elsewhere before their trip (say, enough for the first day's cash needs, transportation from the airport, etc), to avoid arriving at the first European airport with no euros. And the other half don't seem to worry about it and show up at the first airport with no euros, figuring to use an airport ATM.

Click here for an explanation of why many travelers get their cash from ATM machines in Europe.

Posted by
19100 posts

Whenever I come back from Europe, I bring back a couple hundred Euro to have with me at the start of my next trip. I always assume, as Rick says, that I will return (I'm sure one time, only once, I won't). Would you fly across the country (Los Angeles, in your case) with absolutely no money in your pocket, saying "I can get some from the ATM when I arrive." I don't think so; so why go to Europe that way? That "grubstake", so to speak, will cost you 5% ($5 per hundred) at Wells Fargo, vs 1%-3% ($1-$3 per hundred) at the ATM. I think it's cheap insurance.

Posted by
446 posts

"Cash is getting pretty scarce."

This is an over-generalization. It is true that credit cards and debit cards are now increasingly common in Europe, as opposed to a few years ago, but cash is still preferred by budget hotels, hostels, and B&Bs. Even if some of these places will take your credit card, they may give you a discount for paying cash, so be sure to ask.

When I was in Berlin last year, I found that cash only was a policy sometimes even at places you would expect to take credit cards, such as fairly expensive museum restaurants -- like, you are spending 20 Euros there for lunch, and they don't take credit cards? Strange but true. You never know.

Posted by
320 posts

Pat:

I'd like to echo the comments of some of the other posters.

I prefer to hit the ground with at least a couple of days worth of cash in my pocket. It gives me peace of mind.

Others may have a different opinion - but this is your trip - do it your way.

I am more comfortable going into a foreign country knowing that - no matter what - I can eat and get a hotel, etc.

Have fun.

Posted by
430 posts

Ditto most.

I strongly prefer to have a few hundred Euros before I arrive.

To do that, consider using WellsFargo.com rather than AAA -- compare their current rates & fees, and I think WellsFargo.com will be the better deal.

Note that I also prefer to have 5-10 Euro worth of coins before I arrive -- a bank won't be able to do that for you, but to Lee's point before, assume you'll be back, and prime your own supply by bringing some coins home.

Posted by
19100 posts

Cash is getting pretty scarce.

Not in the Europe I go to. Compared to 20 years ago, when no one took credit cards, I see more cards now in big chain hotels, but not in the Mom amd Pop B&Bs I like. In my last 4 trips, 52 nights, I have only used my credit card 6 times, all for rail tickets, mostly because the automat didn't take cash. (I used it once last trip for €2,10!) Of the 24 places I have spent the night, 3 took credit cards, 15 definitely did not. I'm only unsure about 6, but their websites don't say they do; I doubt that they do.

Posted by
23297 posts

......Cash is getting pretty scarce....... Not in the Europe I travel. And, I think, experienced travelers know that cash gets you discounts. Once you have spent some time on the ground you will appreciate Lee and Tyler's comments.

We spent 33 days last Sept/Oct in Europe. My total charges amounted to less than $200. Cash is still king in most places. One big charge we had was a hotel in Delft that would not give a discount for cash so I charged it. Same cost to me either way. Most hotels will give 5 to sometimes 10% discount for cash and that can be significant over time. My primary ATM card is from a credit union that does not add any currency conversion fees and allows nearly unlimited withdraws. Routinely take out 500 Euro at a time. Capital One credit card does not add any extra fees so all of my transactions are very near the interbank rate. And paying in cash at restaurants solve the problem of having your credit card "copied" by bad waiter. And the other great part -- no bills when you get home. Just an empty checking account.

However, I do take about 150 Euro going in. Generally saved from the last trip but will buy locally and pay the price if I have to.

Posted by
8 posts

bank of america sold me euros at $1.42 when daily rate was $1.37 with no other fees and 0% hassle [i am BoA customer] delivered free for pickup in a few days. only got E350 + $100 in a variety of bills to cover for 3 persons. I love AAA, lifemember, but is not the place, at this time [$1.58], to get euros in cash, as are many 'money changers' throughout time and the world -Beware: make the best fair deal you can find - its called 'USURY' ALL the moneychangers will gladly BUY euros - $1.20 COD I'm one of those who prefers to have cash[and tickets] in hand on arrival-walk right past machines and all those getting cash out, first on our plane walking out the door, paid driver, lunch and dinners, etc and with cc, didn't have to think of cash machines for days or so. Nice! Since FOREVER cash talks LOUDLY and brings SMILES EVERYwhere, especially to those where I like to eat and shop and often sleep. if you would like 'antonio' to greet and feed you as lost family, bring friends and spend CASH. merchants everywhere PAY LG cc/debit fees too. Cash relatively easy now to get from ATM, BUT neverever for 'free'- every way * - WE pay....as here avoid non bank machines, nasty hidden exch rates, and expect most to charge fee plus that 1% by your card.And remember,the widely variable < buy' rate and the >'sell' rate are never the daily exchange rate ANYWHERE. even from $0 fee atm and card. I leave for home 'empty pockets' be sure to specifically notify your bank of itinerary[credit card too], and be sure withdraw 'pattern' amounts[do you regularly withdraw 200?] and limits are set correctly. Go to your bank in person. Someday a someone at your home bank can really be a lifesaver while abroad Create and Connect card to smaller secondary account, transfer of funds between accounts easy online or by bank paid 800 'collect' call, keeps big pile safe. Buon Viaggi

• and 3% fee of you total vacation cc charges = WOW 1% X $1.37 = $1.39 3% X $1.37 = +$1.43 - nice racket!
Posted by
9110 posts

"Cash is getting pretty scarce."

Huh? Every place I go is happy to take cash.

I generally show up with some bills and coins. But if you're more comfortable with having money in your hand as you step off the plane, get some from anywhere. Say you get five hundred bucks from AAA at five percent -- not the best rate, but twenty-five bucks is small spuds compared to the cost of the trip. If chump change gives you piece of mind, do it.

Posted by
2910 posts

Hi Pat,

We always used to buy travellers checks (in US $) from AAA (free for members) as a "just in case". We'd never used them and cashed them when we got home (again free). Our last few trips, we brought about $200 US (no Euro's) and simpy went to an ATM in our arrival airport. Very easy. I think we've used our CC's maybe 2 or 3 times in 6 trips recently to Europe (Germany/Austria/Italy). We always ATM's. Next time, we'll do the same. Just my opinion (preference), no reason to buy Euro's in advance when you can get them from an ATM in the airport.

Paul