Please sign in to post.

Spain, Basque region

I've become interested in the Basque region in Spain.
How is the political climate for Americans these days ?
we would be going in May '10. Is a car the best bet ?
What are best small towns and pretty driving routes ?
We would head from Bilbao towards Pamplona to get a train to Barcelona and would like suggestions for a wandering itinerary of 2 days, coastal areas, orchards and in hills and , but not very steep mountain areas.
Thanks alot fellow travelors.

Posted by
2876 posts

Don't miss the picturesque little medieval town of Santillana del Mar and the nearby Altamira caves. We drove all through the Basque region a few years ago and were treated just great. I don't think there's any anti-American sentiment there at all.

Posted by
9110 posts

I agree with Tom, Santillana's a great place, but it's a good hour and a half west of Bilbao and you want to go east. Go there if you have the time by all means.

Heading east, Guernica is about forty-five minutes away and is the heart of everything Basque. The town was bombed to nothing by the Germans and Italians at Franco's request during the civil war. All the remained was the Guernica Oak, now the symbol on the coat of arms of Vizcaya province.

After that, head north to the secondary coastal roads and follow them until you're foreced onto the freeway toward San Sebastian. This city is much-touted, but not much more than an expensive resort. Spend the night if you want to break the trip into two day, the old part of town is mildly interesting.

Leaving San Sebastian, head south on the A-15 (not the freeway) to Pamplona.

Total driving time is about three hours. Any small town along he way is worth stopping and exploring, but I'd spend a couple nights in Pamplona.

Extending the drive eastward from San Sebastian into the southwest corner of France is an alternative, but would force you to either backtrack to San Sebastian or cut through the mountains on secondary roads -- which would not be an issue, but you said you did not wish to do.

The political climate is nothing to worry about. I don't think you'll find any orchards, maybe an apple or pear tree here and there, but that's all I can picture.