Please sign in to post.

Seat Reservations

I've noticed on some train trips a seat reservation is not required. Should I still make one? We are taking a train from Amsterdam to Berlin and would like a table.

Posted by
19240 posts

For Amsterdam to Berlin I would definitely make a reservation. You probably won't need one, but that's a long ways to stand. Reservations are usually less when booked with a ticket, either online or from an automat.

The last couple of ICEs I was on had plenty of tables.

Posted by
159 posts

Thanks for your responses. I was concerned that the Amsterdam - Berlin train might be popular, so I think I'll make the reservation.

Posted by
19240 posts

I think that's a good idea. That train could be crowded, at least nearing Berlin. Some trains on that line recommend or require a reservation.

I've only once had trouble finding a seat on an ICE, but it's cheap insurance. If you book online from the Bahn, either full fare or a discounted Europa-Spezial fare, you can add a seat reservation for only €2,50 (family €4,50). That's at least for the German part of the trip; I'm not sure about the part in the Netherlands.

Last year I had two Sparpreis (than called Dauer-Spezial) tickets from Cochem to Hannover and from Göttingen to Karlsruhe. Because they were replacing wheels and substituting equipment on the trains to Hannover, my seats didn't exist, but there were more than enough, anyway. I missed my assigned train to Karlsruhe because of a late regional train, but they put me on the next ICE with no penalty. I forgot to get them to make me a new reservation, but, again, I didn't need it. I even got a seat at a table.