Please sign in to post.

Driving in Switzerland

How difficult is it to drive in Switzerland? My husband and I plan on picking a car up in southern Switzerland, spending a few days touring around (not sure what area of the country we will travel) then heading for Austria and Bavaria. We are in our 60's. This will be our 6th trip to Europe and have driven all but once but never in mountains. Also, will have a smaller car, standard transmission. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
1633 posts

You'll be fine. I am assuming you're not driving in the winter. I've driven from Munich to Luzern, Interlaken, Appenzell, Zurich, St. Gallen and then some and had no problems/issues. It really wasn't any different driving in Switzerland than in other countries. Yes, some of the mountain roads might be a bit narrower. However, some city/town roads are also narrow. You'll enjoy it--the scenery is spectacular. Have fun!

Posted by
12040 posts

Agree with the last poster. Some of the mountain roads are rather winding, but other than that, it's no different than driving in any other European country... wait, now that I think about it, there are two differences. One, you need a windshield sticker to drive on Swiss highways. You can purchase it either from the rental agency, or at the border. Two, there are probably more tunnels in Switzerland than any other country in Europe. Ever the practical sort, the Swiss seem to prefer to go under and through a mountain than over.

Even in the winter, the road crews usually have the main thoroughfares cleared within hours after a storm ends.

Posted by
182 posts

Hi Diane

Also agree with the others on this, you shouldn't have any issues driving through Switzerland. I would suggest that the rental car company should already have the necessary stickers you would need on the car for the countries you'll be traveling in, but do ask. Also, if you are driving during the winter or during months where snow could occur, my sense is that the car would also have the necessary snow tires on it. It is important to check each country's different laws regarding this as some countries do require them during winter months.

gary

Posted by
3 posts

Thank all of you for your response. We will be driving in late April, early May. Hopefully the snow will be gone. I did know about the sticker for Austria but not Switzerland. Do you have favorite spot in Switzerland. We haven't decided on which area to explore. We will be coming from the lake area of Italy. Probably prefer not to go west because we will continue on in Austria.

You have all been very helpful.

Diane

Posted by
1633 posts

The most western town closest to the Austrian border that I really like is Appenzell. The area has a lot of green rolling hills and is quite charming. Don't miss the cheese factory in town. From there, you have easy access to Austria. Have fun!

Posted by
307 posts

The only thing you should be wary of is spending all your time looking at the fantastic views rather than the road...lol...other than that, you'll do fine.

Posted by
6 posts

In addition to the sticker, Austria requires a neon orange safety vest for the driver to wear if stalled, flat tire, etc. Also, don't count on snow being gone by early May. Some higher roads will be closed into June, in Austria too. Check ahead.

Posted by
3 posts

Does the car rental place provide a vest if they know you are driving in Austria? Or do you have to bring one along? Is it only a problem should you break down along the way?

Posted by
131 posts

You probably already know this,but in CH road signs for cities in the color green are autobahn,blue signs are two lane roads that are fairly wide,[by their standards]. Signs that are white are the smallest roads that I have always called the 'scenic route'.Getting to where you want go may take longer on the white signed roads,but if you have the time, you can go where it is almost just the locals,and the scenery is great.

Posted by
162 posts

The roads in Switzerland are beautiful just like everything else in the country. You will only a vignette sticker if you drive on the major auto routes. If you stick to the small highways then you don't need the vignette. Most likely if you rent in Switzerland the rental car will already have the sticker.

Posted by
850 posts

I would go to your local AAA office and get an International Drivers Permit also.

Posted by
9110 posts

Vest, warning triangle, etc, seem to come in trunk of most rental cars all over europe. In a bunch of road block traffic stops, I've never had anyone want to look in the trunk.