Please sign in to post.

Munich Hotels

Can someone give me the name of some hotels in the Munich area? There are 5 of us, 2 adults, 3 kids (16,14,4). I would like to be closest to Dachau. I would like to be within walking distance to the hotel from the train if possible. It doesn't need to be 5 star, but at least a 3 star hotel that serves breakfast and is family friendly. I would book Hotel am Viktualientmarkt, but it is sold out. Thank you.

Posted by
19100 posts

Hotel Blauer Bock is also near Marienplatz and the Vikualienmarkt. Hotel Royal is near the Hbf, as is Hotel Uhland.

It really doesn't matter much how close to Dachau. Dachau bahnhof is a short (21 min) S-Bahn trip and there are well marked buses to the memorial from there. One MVV XXL Partner Tageskarte (day ticket), for €12,30, will cover your entire family RT for the S-Bahn and the Bus, plus any other travel in the inner two zones of Munich that day.

Be sure to take the S2, destination (Richtung) Petershausen.

Posted by
32219 posts

Tammy,

You might have a look at Hotel Uhland, which is where I usually stay in Munich. It IS within walking distance from the station, although you might want to take a Taxi from the station the first time, just to learn where it is. It usually takes me about 12 minutes or so to walk to the station (even with a Backpack).

I'm not sure if they have rooms large enough for five, however you'd have to contact them for the details.

The breakfasts at the Hotel are awesome, so the teenagers especially should be able to fill up.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
32219 posts

Tammy,

The reason I suggested contacting Hotel Uhland for specific information regarding a party of that size, is that they have provision for extra beds (at extra cost of course). They may be able to accomodate five in a room?

However, rooms in Europe tend to be a bit smaller so having five people in one room may not be the most comfortable arrangement (especially in the morning at shower time with two teenagers!). In the same situation, I'd probably consider two rooms.

This same situation would probably apply at any Hotel.

Good luck!

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you. I have sent Hotel Uhland a reservation request and hope they have availability. This sounds like a perfect place for us. Thanks so much to all.

Posted by
430 posts

Not quite as 'nice' a place as Uhland, here's a backup option for you 200 feet from the Viktualienmarkt -- Pension Siebel -- We stayed there with our toddler son, in-laws, friend, another friend and his teenage daughter... they worked with us to get rooms we needed at a price our large group could live with.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you. We reserved a family room at Hotel Uhland, which sounds very nice. We are looking forward to it!

Posted by
32219 posts

Tammy,

If you have time when you return from Germany, post a note with your impressions of the Hotel. I'm sure the information would be useful for others here.

Cheers!