Please sign in to post.

Backpacking through Europe!

So me and my friend attend a university in the United States, but want nothing more than to head over to Europe. We don't have very much money. We were thinking of flying over as couriers, and then just backpacking around and staying in youth hostiles. I'm just wondering the best way to go about this, and about how much money we are going to be needing, at minimum. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. Thanks!!

Posted by
192 posts

Allison, I hope you can figure out a way to go! My girlfriend and I backpacked in Europe the summer of 1983 and it was the best trip ever! Of course, the dollar was very strong then so we were rich!! I bet your university has a travel agency so go and pick their brains on ideas to go on a budget trip. Go to a local bookstore and look at all the travel books. Hostels are definitely the way to go. Also, go during low season. Some countries cost more than others. I have found that Italy for instance costs twice as much as Germany. In Germany you can get low cost train fare and better deals on lodging and meals. Most books should be able to give you an idea of how much it will cost/day. Good luck! Bon Voyage!

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the help! We were actually thinking of starting in Germany so that'd good to know!

Posted by
12040 posts

The Let's Go series of traveler guides is written for young travelers with more time than money. That might be your best resource.

Other than military Space A, traveling on a reimbursable business trip or having a rich friend with a private jet, flying to Europe for next to nothing is very difficult these days. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a discount somewhere, but don't expect to pay too much less than $700.

Posted by
12172 posts

A university? Come on, Washington State isn't that bad - just the football team. Maybe they'll beat the Huskies and it will end up being a good year.

Posted by
3 posts

I didn't realize that Pullman showed up, but yeah your right. It's not that bad at all. But Europe would be better!

Posted by
32200 posts

allison,

My first suggestion would be to have a look at the Guidebook Europe Through The Back Door. That will provide you with lots of information on how to plan and how to travel efficiently in Europe. I'm not sure how far you are from Edmonds, but you could possibly stop by Rick's headquarters and access ALL of his Guidebooks in the ETBD Library for no cost.

Youth Hostels are a good option for saving money, however budget Hotels are also a good choice in some locations as the cost is not that much different from a Hostel. In addition to the "chain" Hostels offered by HI, there are also lots of great independent Hostels in various cities.

Which countries and cities are you interested in, and how long were you planning to travel for?

Good luck with your planning!