Please sign in to post.

VAT Refund

I have 3 purchases with VAT refund documents, but I've sent some of the merchandise back home already and the other stuff I've used/worn. Will customs still give me my refund?

Posted by
9363 posts

I assume you're talking about VAT forms that need to be turned in before leaving the EU country? In Ireland you turn in these forms at the various places at the airport (there are three different kinds of forms that get turned in in different places). No one asks to see the merchandise. But you need to turn the forms in to get the refunds.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the info.

Since my flight home is from Amsterdam with a transfer in Dusseldorf, Germany, (not the same airlines) I would turn these in at the Amsterdam airport, right?

Posted by
7209 posts

Customs officers will ask to see the merchandise.

Posted by
473 posts

You turn in the forms at your point of departure from the EU. And I have had my purchases checked.

Posted by
9363 posts

I'm not doubting you, but I've never been asked to see the merchandise. In Ireland, particularly, sometimes you just drop the forms off in a drop box -- you never even talk to a person.

Posted by
805 posts

You must get the forms STAMPED at your last point of departure from the EU which is Dusseldorf. They may or may not give you your refund as you are not supposed to use the items and for those you shipped you are out of lock. Offer to show them the goods, when I left Paris recently with a spendy sweater purchased in Italy, they wanted to see it.

Posted by
7209 posts

I have always been asked to produce the merchandise for the customs agent when applying for a VAT refund.

Posted by
7209 posts

I am incorrectly referring to the workers at the VAT refund counter as customs agents. Sorry. However, the VAT Refund workers have always asked to see my goods before processing the refunds. I've never applied for VAT refund from Ireland...only Germany and Italy.