Please sign in to post.

Paris Airport Transportation

I'm flying into CDG and need transportation to Rue Cler, district 7, near Eiffel Tower.

The Air France Shuttle goes from CDG to Montparnasse, and from there I can take a taxi.

I found a website that suggest reservations are required for the Air Franc Shuttle: http://www.shuttle-paris.com/air-france-bus.htm

Elsewhere, I read it was pay as you board. Does anyone have recent experience with this?

Also, which is better: Air France Shuttle or RER bus?

Any recommendations to get transportation (other than taxi) from/to the airports? (leaving Paris via Orly)

Thanks

Posted by
23301 posts

MaryAnn there is a photography site. You just have to look a little harder

GRAFFITI WALL/Sightseeing/Photography in Europe

Posted by
8700 posts

Reservations are not required on the Air France buses.

If you're going to take a bus + taxi, it would be cheaper to take the Roissybus from CDG to Opera (9.10 EUR) and a taxi from there to your hotel.

If you're packing light and can easily schlepp your own luggage, it would be cheaper yet (8.50 EUR) to take the RER B to Paris and then the metro and/or other RER lines to the station closest to your hotel. If you give the name and address of your hotel, I'll suggest a RER & metro route for you.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks, Tim,

This is my hotel on Rue Cler:
Grand Hôtel Lévêque
29, Cler Street
75007 Paris France

I haven't packed yet, but I think I will have one medium check-in bag, and one rolling carry-on. I want to pack light, but I'm carrying a small tripod in my case for night shots.

I have read cautions on this website about Air France Shuttles not having secure luggage holds (anybody who gets off before you can take your bag).

Maybe I should spend the $35 on the Paris Shuttle:
http://www.parishuttle.com/rates_transfer_airport_paris.php

It's my first time to France.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Posted by
23301 posts

Most of us would not view that medium size suitcase and a rolling carry on as packing light. However, compared to what you have had in the past, it might be for you. A lot people get by very well with one carryon size bag and perhaps a small shoulder bag. You might want to rethink your luggage and packing style.

Posted by
32219 posts

MaryAnn,

See my reply to your other Post on this question in the "To The West" section.

I see from this post that you'll be staying at the Grand Hotel Leveque. That's an easy walk from the Ecole Militaire Metro stop (perhaps 5 minutes or so). There are some good restaurants in that part of Rue Cler, and some ATM's right across the street from the Hotel entrance.

Here's one of the restaurants on the corner....

Happy travels!

Posted by
25 posts

Cool night shot! Thanks, Ken, for the tips!!

I put in the other post a recommendation I have for night photography (long time exposures): the Benro Travel Angel tripod.
http://www.benro.com/main/

Since there isn't a forum for photography here, may I suggest (from one photographer to another) trying long exposures at night will make everyone in the shot (who's moving out of frame) to disappear. Makes for really cool images.

Thanks again.

Posted by
8700 posts

From your last post it sounds like you probably won't take the RER & metro, but I'll give you what I think is the best route anyway. Take the RER B from CDG to St-Michel Notre-Dame. Transfer to the RER C and take it to Invalides. Transfer to metro line 8 and take it to Ecole Militaire. For detailed information on taking the RER from CDG to Paris, including photos, see the Paris by Train site.

If you're worried about securing your luggage, be aware that the Roissybus goes non-stop from CDG to Opera. There is no luggage bay so you will need to carry your luggage on and off the bus and you can keep an eye on it all the way.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks, Tim. The Roissybus is recommended by other posters. Merci!