Please sign in to post.

Day Trips From Munich

My wife and I are planning to spend a week in Munich sometime next Fall. We are planning day trips to Nuremberg, Garmisch and maybe Salzburg. Would it be to our advantage to buy a German Rail Pass before we leave or just buy individual tickets once we get there?

Posted by
7 posts

I don't know how independent of a traveller you are, but we have used a local touring company several times in Munich and have been very happy with the day trips and the guides. The have trips to Salzburg and Garmisch, as well as Neuschwanstein. They are called Autobus Oberbayern, but are connected with Gray Line Tours.

www.stadtrundfahrten-muenchen.de/eng/index.html

Also recommended is the Munich Walk Tours gang.

Have fun in Munich -- it's our favorite European city.

Posted by
98 posts

You can get a Bayern Ticket that covers 2-5 people for E28. This will cover travel from 9am (might be 9:30am) until 3 am so the RT is no problem. You must use local transport (no ICE train).

Posted by
1568 posts

Russ, Google Munich Day Tours and there will be many tours.

We went on a bus Tour to Neuschwainstein Castle and a couple of other castles in the area. Dachau can be reached by train. I believe it takes about 30 mins.

Posted by
19240 posts

I would never spend that kind of money for a guided tour when it is so easy to plan it yourself and much less expensive with Bayern-Tickets. Bayern-Tickets are valid from 9 AM weekdays and from midnight on weekend days.

As for using a railpass, three Bayern-Tickets at €28, €84 (about $126) is far less than a railpass.