Please sign in to post.

KLM Airlines

As stated in my previous post, my wife and I are traveling to France next Spring. At the moment it is looking like KLM is offering the lowest rate from O'Hare to De Gaulle, with a tranfer in Amsterdam. Has anybody flown KLM before? Any thoughts or opinions?

Posted by
1358 posts

KLM has good service, as do most of the european-based airlines, like Lufthansa or British Airways.

Posted by
264 posts

I have never had any big issues with KLM. I am with Steve - if I have to transfer in Europe give me Schipol any day of the week.

Posted by
269 posts

Ditto. I've never had any problems with KLM, and AMS is probably the best airport to transfer through. Clean, convenient and extremely efficient. Friendly, too!

Posted by
881 posts

Pretty much every bad experience I have ever had has been with KLM. Only on the Seattle to Amdam / Seattle-Connection-Amdam routes, so my experience is limited, but I've taken that flight more times than I can think and would NEVER fly KLM again voluntarily.

Oooooold plane, nasty crew. Every flight every time entirely sold out. Treated like domestic coach, unlike the other European airlines which have some nice amenities.

I'd much rather fly BA, Virgin, Air France, etc - much more bang for your dollar.

Posted by
15605 posts

I've flown KLM several times and been quite satisfied. In fact I am flying KLM from Tel Aviv to O'Hare in 4 days (!) with a transfer in Amsterdam. The price was amazing. Coming back my flights are on Air France with a transfer in Paris. Schipol is an easy airport to navigate.

Tip: You may not be able to choose your seats when you book. If this happens, phone them a couple of days later and you should be able to reserve them.

Posted by
1317 posts

Sorry to hear about Chris's bad experiences. We flew the SEA - AMS route on a NWA-KLM code share (this was right before the NW-Delta merger). We were only on a KLM plane for the AMS - FCO portion, and it was fine.

However, the place where we really appreciated KLM was when our return trip home was screwed up by NW not issuing a ticket change correctly. The KLM agents worked their tails off to get the computer system to generate new tickets at no charge to us...as opposed to Meridiana who forced us to pay for new tickets at the counter. I'd definitely fly with KLM again.

Posted by
881 posts

I'm glad to hear someone had a good trip on that route Liz!! :)