Please sign in to post.

venice airport

My husband & I will be completing a med. crusie in Venice and are staying overnight at a hotel on the Canal. We have a very early flight home the next morning,(6:20 am) and wanted to know the best, quickest and most efficeint way to to get to the airport. Thank you
Donna

Posted by
417 posts

This is from the WikiTravel page on Venice. Hope that it helps:

The closest commercial airport is Marco Polo Airport [2] (ICAO: LIPZ, IATA: VCE), on the mainland near Mestre (a more typical Italian city, without Venice's unique structure). The Treviso Airport [3] (ICAO: LIPH, IATA: TSF), located 25 km (16 mi) from Venice, is relatively smaller but becoming increasingly busy as the main destination for Ryanair, SkyEurope, and Transavia budget flights. From Treviso Airport, ATVO [4] offers a €10 round-trip ticket price from-to Venice.

Both airports have bus connections with Venice (Piazzale Roma), Mestre, Padua and other towns. ATVO 'pullman'coaches (€10 return) run to and from Treviso to co-incide with flights. Marco Polo airport runs a shuttle bus --€3-- (or just turn left and walk 10 minutes under the awning) to the Alilaguna water-bus jetty, where €13 gets you a leisurely 75 minute boat trip to San Marco via Murano, Lido and the Arsenale. Or take the cheaper boat (€6,50) to Murano which takes only half an hour. Alternatively, you can travel in style (and much faster) by hiring one of the speedy water-taxis (30 mins) for about €100. All these tickets are now buyable online on Venicelink.com [5]

Posted by
536 posts

Donna - The answer to your question - A water taxi that will cost you about $110.00 BUT, at that hour of the morning and, realizing that you need to be at The Airport well before your International flight, it is the answer. On the upside , it's a Beautiful ride - Have the hotel negotiate the price for you - It will be better! DO NOT BUY the ticket online - Let the Hotel take care of it for you.

Ciao, Greg

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your responses. What time do you advise we leave our hotel? By the way, it is the Marco Polo Ariport that we are leaving from. Thanks

Posted by
1003 posts

As Greg stated, you will want a water taxi especially at that hour of the day. Your hotel will get you a taxi and will know how long it takes, price, etc. It may be a bit more expensive but we always take a water taxi to and from the airport on our visits to Venice. Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
1167 posts

I would suggest that you let the hotel make all of the arrangements for you. They are in the best position to know how early you have leave, how long it takes, the boat schedules, etc.

Posted by
7209 posts

For only 1 night and given the very early departure, I would probably just sleep in a hotel near the airport but spend the actual day and evening before walking around Venice. Yes, the water taxi ride is nice...but not in the pitch black night. I also had an early flight and took a water taxi, but it was pitch black dark and rain.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for all your great suggestions! We changed our Hotel to the Courtyard by Marriot Venice Airport, and will take the advice of the last poster!

We will leave the ship and get settled at the hotel early, then just explore Venice for the day. We will have plenty of time to get back and make it the next morning to catch our flight.

Thanks,
Donna