Please sign in to post.

Morocco

My husband I will plan to spend 10 days in Morocco in June 2010. Originally, we plan to fly into Marrakech from Madrid and spend 4 nights there. From Marrakech we plan to visit Fez for 4 nights (taking a day trip to Rabat). Then we'll end our time in Asilah, renting a villa for three nights, returning to Spain by ferry via Tangiers.

I've been wondering, though, about a different option. Instead of flying into Marrakech, we're thinking of driving from Spain. We would take the coastal route down and go inland from Marrakech to Fez, etc. Does anyone know if driving is a viable and sensible option. Which would you recommend?

Posted by
417 posts

Lily,

I visited Morocco in 2007, so I think recent enough to comment. I personally, would not drive from Fez to Marrakech (or the other way!). The train is easy, reliable, and a great way to travel. Car is also WAY too much time spent on the road, IMO.

think about this: Fly to Marrakech, spend 3 nights. Train to Rabat, spend the day, and continue on to Fez. Spend 4 nights (maybe a little too long, IMO for Fez, but you could day trip to Meknes). Finish in Asilah like you planned. Should be less of a headache and a nice way to go.

Morocco is wonderful, and if you are curious for more info, just ask. Check out my Youtube video about our trip here: http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeandjaclyn

If you have time, try and make it to the desert. Personally, I would cut off a day each in Marrakech and Fez and make your way down to M'Hamid for the amazing dunes. It was the highlight of our trip for me and my wife.

Posted by
4555 posts

You will find it difficult to find a car rental firm that will allow you to rent in Spain and drive into Morocco. I'm with Mike...take the train.