Please sign in to post.

Thalys reservations

How far in advance should we make reservations for the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris? We'll go 2nd class.
Is it necessary to make them from the point of origin?

Posted by
4555 posts

Sue....I assume this is the same question you posted earlier today...except this time you left out the fact you will have a rail pass.
If you haven't purchased your railpass yet, reconsider. Depending on the train journeys you have planned, point to point tickets may be far cheaper.
If you are using a railpass, then you should make reservations for your Amsterdam-Paris journey as soon as possible. It is a popular train, and European rail networks also limit places available for railpass holders. Your best bet to ensure a seat for this one journey is to go to raileurope.com and click on "Reservations for rail pass holders." You're paying not only for a reservation here, but also a supplement for taking a high-speed train...second class will cost you an extra $50 U.S.
However, if you book early enough at thalys.com, you can get a second class ticket for as low as 55 Euro, or about $80.

Posted by
9100 posts

If you book early enough you can get fares even cheaper than that. Back in May I was able to purchase an advance for only 25 euros.

Posted by
4555 posts

Yeah, I saw that promotion, Michael...but I think it was only for the spring/summer....I haven't seen them surface for the fall....too bad!:(

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks Norm and Michael. I didn't know that the number of seats for Eurail passengers was restricted. We'll be taking this route next week, so I'll reserve now.

Posted by
9100 posts

I was just playing around with the Thalys site, and there are 25 Euros fares available for October. But it all depends on which day, and time of day you want to travel.