Please sign in to post.

Train tickets in Italy

Can any one tell me if there is a trick to buying train tickets online from Ferrovie dello Stato. I have registered and everytime I try to purchase tickets for our trip in October I get a pop-up which tells me they are not purchasable. What is the secret?

Posted by
8700 posts

The bad news is that Ferrovie dello Stato, the Trenitalia site, currently does not accept US credit cards. The good news is that there are ticket machines in major stations. They have an English option and they do accept US credit cards. No need to stand in line at a window. Buy your tickets when you get to Italy.

Posted by
32212 posts

Jackie,

Tim's advice is spot on! The ticket machines are very easy to use, and it's much easier (and often cheaper) to buy tickets there.

You might want to have a look at Ron's website for a description of the ticket machines (you'll need to scroll down).

Happy travels!

Posted by
1170 posts

The machines are in many different languages and are my preferred method of purchasing train tickets in Italy (no surly ticket agent). Just be certain to get to the station early enough to figure out the machine (very intuitive) and to make certain that the type of seating that you are looking for is not already sold out. If you pay a little extra, a 1st class seat is so much more roomy and comfortable.