Please sign in to post.

Switzerland to Italy.....

I'm flying into Zurich and out of Pisa, Italy. Spending 3 nights in Murren/Gimmelwald for hiking and then wanting to take the train to Vernazza, Italy where I will spend another 3 nights. So I need train ticket from Zurich to Murren, then a train ticket from Gimmelwald to Vernazza, Italy. I will be leaving this month (August).

My question is should I buy point to point tickets or some sort of Swiss or Eurail pass? Which one is most economicanl? Should I buy in advance or just buy when I get to Zurich train station? Thanks for your help in advance!

Posted by
6898 posts

Tilde, for what you describe above, point-to-point tickets will be less expensive unless you plan on traveling up to the Schilthorn or the Jungfrau during your stay in Murren. For example, if you plan on going to the Jungfrau, I suggest purchasing a Swiss 1/2 fare card upon your arrival in Zurich (99CHF). It's good for 30 days. You get 50% off all fares. Just the roundtrip to the Jungfrau ($180) will just about pay for the 1/2 fare card.

Next, it's very easy to buy your train/bus/gondola tickets from Zurich to Murren at the Zurich Flughafen (airport) station. Yes, it's a gondola to and from Murren and Gimmelwald.

For your tickets from Gimmelwald to Vernazza, you might look into buying them in advance in Zurich or you can buy them in the Lauterbrunnen train station. However, I'm not sure that you can get booked all the way through to Vernazza. The Swiss train website shows the run so you should be able to buy it. But, you might have to book Gimmelwald/Milan on the Swiss system and then get your Milan/Vernazza tickets in the Milan train station.

BTW, the Gimmelwald/Vernazza journey will take you about 9.0hrs with 7-8 gondola/bus/train changes. Gondola to Stechelberg, Bus Stechelberg/Lauterbrunnen, train Lauterbrunnen/Interlaken Ost, train Interlaken Ost/Spiez, high-speed train Spiez/Milan (and possibly a train change in Brig), train from Milan/Genoa, train from Genoa to Monterosso or La Spezia and then finally a train change to the local to get to Vernazza. Fun stuff.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you sooooo much Larry, exactly the info I needed! While most would balk at the long train ride to Vernazza I'm excited to experience it ALL!!! Not to mention I hear that the route from Switzerland to Italy via Milan during this time of year is stunning!

Thanks again and Happy Travels! :))

Posted by
6898 posts

A gold star for being adventureous with the trains. You will absolutely love the public transportation from Interlaken into and out of Murren and the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Yes, it's a train/bus/gondola combo but it's all so different and scenic. The Swiss are always right on time with their schedules as well. You can see all of this on www.rail.ch if you want to see schedules.