Please sign in to post.

italy to switzerland

Im travelling from venice to lucerne and then lucerne to rome, and I was planning to forgo a railpass for p2p tickets. But I was on the sbb.ch website to inquire as to how much it would cost to get from Lucerne to rome and it was over $400. It seems like I could get a railpass for about this much. Am I missing something?

Posted by
8700 posts

Day trains: On the Swiss Rail site I found a 2nd class fare of €55 for Luzern-Lugano. On the Trenitalia site I found a 2nd class fare of €91.60 for Lugano-Roma with a connection in Milano.

There is also a good night train route (regional train from Luzern to Olten and a EuroNight train from Olten to Roma), but I didn't check the fares.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks so much for your help. Would you suggest buying the tickets now, or when we get there?

Posted by
8700 posts

If you wish to travel during the day, you can choose from several departure times. You should be okay waiting until you get to Switzerland to book. However, if you wish to take the night train, book on the Swiss Rail site ASAP. Popular night trains can sell out weeks in advance.