Please sign in to post.

gps in europe

we will be on a two month driving trip in France & Italy. Has anyone used either Tom Tom or Garmin GPS systems? Are they helpful? Is one any better than the other?
Cathy,
Victoria, BC

Posted by
850 posts

Cathy, many of the folks here have used the GPS in Europe. The vast majority will tell you the gps is most helpful and most, including me, would tell you they would not want to drive again in Europe without one. Both the tomtom and the Garmin are good and you would be pleased with which ever one you decide to take. I have a tomtom 910 which is an earlier model and has been replaced by the 920 and 930. A new model should be coming out or maybe already has come out. The Garmin models have received excellent reviews also. I could not tell you if one is better than the other only to say I would buy either one depending on what I feel suits me and also the price would be a major factor. That said, do not neglect buying a good map. We use both.

Posted by
875 posts

Lane is correct on everything. We used a TomTom GO 920 in France for driving in the countryside, and it was great -- especially going thru all those roundabouts! And especially out where there didn't actually seem to be any signs. But we also took a Michelin map with us as a backup. I'd never drive in Europe without a GPS....but then I have NO sense of direction.

Posted by
32224 posts

cathy,

I also agree with Lane's comments. Both the Garmin and TomTom units are becoming increasingly popular with many of the group here.

I've used a Garmin Nuvi 370 for several trips and although it's not infallible, it will ALWAY be in my Pack on future trips (even if I'm not driving). The 370 has been discontinued, but replaced by the 275T, I believe. Whichever unit you buy, just be sure it has European maps!

I've found that I need to monitor instructions from the GPS, as it sometimes suggests routing which is NOT correct. When the destination is programmed, usually the correct local names must be used. I also feel it's a good idea to carry a Michelin Map for "backup".

I bought a smaller GPS unit so that it would be "shirt pocket size" and I could use it in "Pedestrian mode" when walking around cities. This has proven quite useful on a couple of occasions when I got lost. However, battery life is an issue if out touring for a full day. I tend to use it just when needed and leave it turned off for the most part.

You'll also want to ensure that the Charger supplied with the unit is designed for "world" operation (a Plug Adaptor will be required though).

One other point to note is that you'll require an International Driver's Permit for Italy. This is compulsory, and failure to produce one can result in a fine on the spot. Each Driver must have an IDP. You can obtain one at your local BCAA office for a small fee. Also be sure to read the posts here regarding "ZTL" zones in Italy.

Happy travels!

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks to Lane, Janis & Ken. Thanks for the info re the gps. We'll definitely get one or other. And yes, we have maps - probably too many! We did know about the international driving licence, but it's definitely a good reminder to others.

thanks again - this is such a great site for the nitty gritty info.

Cathy

Posted by
119 posts

we got our Garmin nuvi 270 on amazon.com. It was less than $150- with european maps already loaded, and it was a breeze to use.... so much easier than our car installed ones! love it!

Posted by
41 posts

We also just got the Garmin nuvi 270 from amazon at an amazing price and have been impressed with it in NY; hoping that it will still impress in the Czech Republic!

Posted by
12172 posts

The time you will save navigating with a GPS is more than worth the money, especially in Italy where roads have names but no signs.

I have a TomTom 920. I really like it and it comes preloaded with European and North American Maps.

Garmins get good reviews also and I noticed a Garmin 275 (also comes with Eur & NA maps) online at Costco for $199 (with coupon).

Posted by
689 posts

I used to think I could never manage without gps. They are very nifty devices. Then one year, we rented a car in a smaller town in France that didn't have them and you know what? It was incredibly easy to get around. We hardly even consulted our maps--everywhere you go in France the signage is so clear and easy. We haven't bothered to ask for a car with one since, and we won't on our France-Switzerland trip this year, either.

Posted by
103 posts

We just bought the TomTom 930 for our driving trip to France/Switzerland/Germany. It was more than worth it's weight in gold!!!! I am so glad we ended up buying one. Like someone said, France was pretty easy, but for Switzerland and Germany, we would have spent hours lost....

Have fun!

Posted by
12172 posts

Before I purchased my TomTom 920, I drove in Italy. I had driven in the North many times and always found my way with little trouble. I packed a good map, crammed on the language, leased a good car and off we went.

Disaster may be too strong of word but we were more than surprised to find no street signs in Italy. It was fun to stop and get directions but it added a lot of time and hassle.

A sample direction might be "Turn left on Champion Bridge";"Thank You";drive a little further and see five bridges, none marked.

The autostrada has it's own challenges. Exits are not marked by the highway number. Instead they have a few random towns listed (never the larger towns or cities you would expect) with an arrow pointing to the exit.

Even if you know you are looking to turn West soon an exit that looks like it takes you West invariably swings around and takes you East (Murphy's law). Since it's a toll road, the exits are few and far between. You have drive to the next exit, pay the toll, get across the autostrada to turn around, take a ticket and get going. You can easily lose ten to twenty minutes for each wrong turn.

I can't recommend a GPS highly enough for Italy.