Please sign in to post.

Best time to book airfare

I posted this in another thread, but I think this is the proper one. We are planning a trip to London in October or November and are pretty flexable right now about dates and departure. I have searched airline prices until I'm blue in the face and have found that prices can go up and down drastically in a 24 hour period. I go straight to the airline website instead of go to Expedia, etc. When I find a good deal, should I book right away or can I wait a month or two? Or should I just call a travel agent?

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, Cindy. Usually 3 - 6 months out is the best time to buy. Airlines put their inventory in around that time, and you'll see an overall price drop. If you watch the airlines you want, you'll notice also one day of the week (Usually a Wednesday morning) where they put new inventory in, and the price goes down.

Since your flexible, avoid weekends - Tues/Weds/Thurs have great prices to London, and avoid the Holidays (Yes US Thanksgiving causes higher prices in London. lol).

Set a price you like. If you find it, or close to it, GRAB IT!! Statistics show that 87% of the time, the price you see will be the lowest price offered, and will go up from there.

Have a great trip!

PS - With Expedia, Orbitz, etc. THey do sell bulk air fares, BUT the airlines often only allow them to do so in conjunction with a hotel. So try searching for "packages" - Expedia in particular has a nice feature that allows you to choose only part of the stay in a hotel.

We flew SAS in May, and Orbitz had a bulk fare (without hotel) that was fantastic. Yes, it was more restrictive, but our dates were set, and we saved, $600 per person! Have fun!

Posted by
251 posts

Thanks, Chris. I have a call in to a travel rep. right now to get her prices. I'm not set on any one airline - American, Continental, BA. Right now, online, it seems Continental has the best rate out of Houston for $512 RT plus taxes and fees. It comes to $2650.00 for the 4 of us.. I might not get lower than that. Its traveling Oct. 26 to Nov. 2. We live in Oklahoma, but can get to DFW or Houston (IAH) easily.

Posted by
780 posts

I booked directly through British Air for my trip to London in November, round trip non stop, for $641 with taxes and fees included.

It looks like you may be paying the same per person, so I would stick with Continental. But you may be able to get it cheaper directly though the airline.

Posted by
689 posts

There is no best time. I've found amazing fares 11 months ahead, others swear you shouldn't buy more than a month or two out. The rule is, if you see a fare you know is good, buy it. A lot of airlines haven't advertised their fall sale fares yet (though some have). I saw an article in the Wall St Journal last week that said if you're traveling after Labor Day, sit tight--prices should come down.

Use kayak.com--it searches all the airlines sites and travel sites (ie expedia) for you at once, so you don't have to do it until you're blue in the face. There is zero reason to use a travel agent for such a simple ticket, IMO.