Please sign in to post.

train vs. car

Family of 5 traveling from Paris, Germany, Switzerland then Italy ending in Rome for 3 1/2 weeks. which is cheaper; car or railpass? Rail passes add up to $2,406 for all of us.

Posted by
19106 posts

Without knowing your actual itinerary, it's hard to say, but I do know this.

A car can be a real pain in Italy, what with mandatory CDW and no travel zones with signs only in Italian. And, point-point tickets in Italy are relatively inexpensive.

I've spent 14 weeks in Germany this decade and never had to use anything but point-point tickets on trains and a few buses. Before every trip I analyze the cost of a rental car vs. a rail pass vs. point-point tickets. Point-point tickets always wins.

German Rail gives such great discount on express trains and has really good day tickets for all day regional travel for up to five passengers.

Be sure to take into account not only 5 passenger in a rental car (or van) but also the luggage you will carry. You might find a really good looking price on a rental car, but will it really hold all of you AND your luggage?

Posted by
7209 posts

I've done both rail and car, and our family MUCH prefers rail. Some people think cars allow them freedom, however I view a car as a boat anchor that is attached to my leg for the ENTIRE trip!

In Switzerland train tickets can be expensive, and some sort of Swiss Pass can greatly reduce your train travel costs. Also in Switzerland kids < 16 years old traveling with a parent are absolutely free on all public transport. So keep that in mind if you have kids. Also some of the most beautiful parts of Switzerland are car-free...no cars allowed and the only way to access them is via train, gondola, cogwheel, etc all of which are covered via the Swiss Pass.

You say Italy is in your itinerary. I'm just guessing that Venice might be included...there's another place where a car is totally useless and you'll have to pay to park it while it sits in the garage being useless.

Petrol is expensive, France and Italy will "toll" you to death on their highways and you'll have to purchase a vignette in Switzerland to drive on the highways. Calculate in high costs for parking that is almost non-existent in bigger cities. Calculate in the cost of potential traffic accidents, thefts (hey it happens) with high deductible insurance. You couldn't pay me ENOUGH to drive in Rome.

I would almost always choose rail if at all possible. We don't even consider renting cars now. The last vehicle we rented was a minivan in Switzerland. All was well until we unloaded a suitcase with a tiny protuding screw that left a minutely small scratch on the bumper...that scratch costed me over 700 Swiss Francs and it was of course LESS than the deductible on the CDW that I had purchased...that was the last straw and I haven't rented a vehicle since...I've been enjoying the FREEDOM of trains and low-cost intra-european flights which can be phenomenally cheap.

Posted by
32219 posts

Marianne,

I've never travelled with "a family of 5", but even if the cost is slightly more, I'd still choose rail as it's not only faster but also there's far less aggravation and stress.

One thing regarding rail passes (which you may be aware of) is that these DON'T include reservation fees which are compulsory on some trains (ie: fast trains such as the TGV). You'll have to pay these separately.

In addition to the tolls, cost of petrol and other aspects of driving you'll also need an International Driver's Permit for Italy. It's very inexpensive to obtain one from any AAA office, and this must be used in conjunction with your home Driver's License. You can be fined on the spot for not producing one, if the Police decide to enforce the law.

Getting the full CDW with no deductible is also a good idea, although this will increase your rental cost. I've given up trying to figure out the rental car coverage provided by some "premium" credit cards and just pay whatever the rental agency charges. Needless to say, I try to minimize car rentals as much as possible and use these "strategically".

If you do decide to use a rental car, a GPS unit along with a good Map (I use Michelin) would be highly recommended.

Happy travels!

Posted by
7209 posts

Totally agree with that exhorbitant drop-off fee. We rented a car in Paris to drive to Normandy and then back through Germany and finally dropped it at the Zurich airport in Switzerland where we hopped on the train system. That drop-off fee was around 300 Euros...highway robbery!

Posted by
2193 posts

Even if you've driven in Europe before and are familiar with the pluses and minuses, I would still recommend rail for the high-level itinerary you've described. The other replies have covered this topic well, so I'll just add that driving out of central Paris is very difficult. Also, you'll need to ensure that your French rental car is properly licensed with the right emission sticker if you plan on driving it into German cities. And, Italy has a high rate of auto theft/theft from autos. The last drawback I'll mention is the very high fee you'll pay in order to drop your car off other than from where it was rented.

Driving can be rewarding, especially in more rural places like Bavaria or Tuscany. I've both driven and used rail throughout Europe, and there's no question that rail is easier and more convenient. And, it's often less expensive in total. Sometimes, fellow travelers wish to drive and are just asking for a few tips on this helpline. Others ask about driving versus using rail. If the former, I'll provide what I can. If the latter, I'll always recommend rail. Good luck, and have a great trip.

Posted by
12172 posts

We leased a Renault from Amsterdam to Rome. Even with the pickup (Amsterdam) and drop off (Rome) charges, it was cheaper than train passes for five. Picking up in Paris eliminates one of the charges. Leasing also includes CDW in the price (instead of an additional cost on a rental car).

Railpasses charge based on the number of days you want to travel and the number of countries you want to visit. The more traveling you do, the higher the price.

A car is available all days but you have to factor in gas and parking.

For more info on lessons we learned, PM me.