Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Florence

My husband and I are taking a grand tour in September. I want to book the overnight train from Paris to Florence ASAP. I was checking out the SNCF website for prices and when I added the double sleeper the assigned seats were both on coach 91, but seat 51 lower and seat 55 upper. It seems these seats would not be in the same compartment. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

FYI Our trip itinerary is London-Paris-Normandy(1 NGHT in Bayeux)-Florence-Cinque Terre-Rome. The destination order in FR and IT yet to be determined!

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks so much for the prompt, thorough response! I'll go ahead and purchase the tickets now. Thanks!

Posted by
521 posts

Hi Jo,

Those bunks would be in the same compartment.

Take a look at the sleeper seat map here on the seat61.com website (scroll about half-way down to see it). The bunks are setup to have odd numbers above one another, and even numbers above one another.

This map is setup for couchettes, but it is the same concept for a double sleeper cabin. You will see on the chart that 51 is on the bottom, 53 in the middle, and 55 above it. That is the configuration for a three-bunk compartment (or half of a six-bunk compartment, where the even-numbered bunks 52, 54, and 56 would also be in the compartment). As you are booking a double sleeper, the middle bunk does not exist; hence there is no bunk 53 in existence in your train car.

So, this would in fact work for a double, with bunk 51 being the bottom, and bunk 55 being the top, with no other bunks in the cabin.

Have a great trip!