Please sign in to post.

Milan airport to train station

I will be traveling to Italy for the very first time this September. The first leg of my journey will be by myself, so I'm a little nervous.

I am flying to Milan and then taking a train to Lake Como. I would love any and all advice on getting from the airport to the train station and then trying to find the right train.

Posted by
3262 posts

Cari,
I think that the best way to get from Malpensa Airport to the Central Train station is to take the bus--there are 2 bus companies that provide the service and either one is o.k. They depart in front of the airport (outside exit 5, at stops 2 and 3.) They leave about every 15 minutes. Here's a link to one of the bus services: Malpensa Shuttle

It's not necessary to purchase tickets in advance.

Rick's Italy book provides specific instructions on how to take the train to the various cities on Lake Como--depends on where you're going. If you don't have a copy of Rick's book you can probably get a copy from your library to check out the specifics.

Posted by
6898 posts

There are many places around the perimeter of Lake Como. You might want to be more specific about where you intend to stay. Train journeys could vary. Also, if you are going to Bellagio or Menaggio, a ferry from Varenna-Esino could be involved.

Posted by
23562 posts

Just a little more info. The shuttle bus unloads at the SE corner of the Centrale station. It will be about a block walk to the front of the station, west along the south side of the station. The station is massive but it works well. The ticket windows are to the right as you enter. All the ticket agents speak enough English to get you where you want to go. The actual track assignment is not posted until about 30 minutes ahead of departure and I have seen it posted as late as 10 minutes and sometimes switch at the 5 or 10 mark.

Posted by
3262 posts

Also, you can purchase tickets at a kiosk using a credit card! Once you get your ticket make sure to validate it at one of the yellow validation machines.