Please sign in to post.

Gibraltar

I am curious about Gibraltar as a possible stop in our 2010 two week European vacation. The official tourist website is not very clear, but I get the impression there is no train station there, although it says you can "walk or drive" across the border from Spain. We will not be renting a car, so I am wondering how we could get there. Is there a nearby train station we could taxi or walk from? Next town over? Also, feedback from anyone on how they enjoyed their time in Gibraltar (we are still on the fence) would also help. Thanks!

Posted by
2193 posts

I haven’t been to Gibraltar, but it looks like you will take rail to Algeciras, Malaga, or some other point and bus to La Linea de la Concepcion. From there, you can walk 250 meters to Gibraltar. Looks like the key is to get to La Linea.

Posted by
4555 posts

Where would you be coming from? Bus or train are options, depending on your point of departure.

Posted by
1556 posts

We were in Gibraltar about 5 years ago - a stopover on our way to Morocco. We actually flew in from London directly into GIB. Very small airport as you can imagine.

When leaving, we took a local shuttle to the border area which you just walk across into Spain (you actually have to walk across the active runway to get to Spain though in all honestly there are very few flights- makes for an interesting border crossing). From the border it is a very short walk to the bus station.

Gibraltar is a fairly expensive place. Plan on spending at least $150 for the cheapest, bare bones accommodation. A tour to visit the caves and to the top of the rock is worthwhile. Do watch out for the monkeys (macaques?) as they will jump on you looking for food.

Posted by
26 posts

To answer Norm's question we expect to be using the trains in Spain and get as close as possible that way. That border town bus sounds good.

I managed to find a bit more history on the place and instead of being on the fence I definitely want to go now. Repeatedly many powerful countries have attacked trying to take over and their attempts thwarted by this defiant little place! The Spanish tried pressuring them by cutting off trade but that didn't work either. The Gibraltans voted democratically by an overwhelming margin to remain a British territory. Intrigued as I am now I'll definitely be going and thank you everyone for the help.

Posted by
964 posts

We visited Gibraltar about 2 years ago- we travelled by bus to the terminal (I can't think of the name of the town, but it's across the road from Gibraltar) and then walked across into Gib. It was very easy. You actually walk across the airport runway!
As to whether it's worth going- well, my husband enjoyed it and I didn't like it that much! So there you are, a split view.

Posted by
8293 posts

Had a brief visit to Gibralter a number of years ago. It was interesting and in many ways more English than England, in what I found to be a very determined-to-be-British way. I was glad I went, though and recommend it.

Posted by
117 posts

Heather,
I booked a day tour to see Gibraltar out of Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol. It was around 30Euros. You can take these tours daily from most of the towns west of Malaga. I was picked up by the coach at a stop near my residence and when we crossed into Gibraltar(passport must be shown) we were turned over to a local guide in a van. Highlights, feeding the apes with uncooked pasta supplied by the guide; visiting St. Michaels cave inside the Rock. During WWII it was used as a hospital. Today, concerts are held there regularly; the fantastic views, especially looking across the Straits to Morocco. Other day trips I took were to Ronda and Granada. Cheers, as they say on Gib.