Please sign in to post.

Arles or Avignon?

My husband & I are planning on spending 5 days in Southern France and are not sure whether we should stay in Arles or Avignon for several of those days...We have heard good things about both. Any suggestions? We are also planning on heading to Nice afterwards so any recommendations on accomodations would be great. (We are backpacking so are looking for either budget hotel or hostel)

Posted by
162 posts

I was there 5 years ago. There was no nice hostel in Avignon, but there is a nice hostel in Arles. The distance between the two towns is not far, so a day trip to the other city is not out of the question. Avignon was crowded, and Arles not as crowded.

Posted by
421 posts

we debated about this too...we ended up chosing Arles as it was just a bit more centered to the coast where we were coming from and to our trip to Montpellier before heading to Barcelona.
We did a day trip to Avingon. I liked avignon alot but I fell in love with arles and I am glad we chose to stay there.

Posted by
158 posts

We just stayed in Arles a few weeks ago and loved it. It so pretty and its fun walking around and seeing the spots where Van Gogh painted. We loved the Hotel Regence. Our room was clean, had a great location, and very nice service for only 55 euros a night (double room with our own toilet and shower). Arles has an amazing market on Sundays and Wednesday so if you can be there one of those days it is so cool to walk through.

We did a wine tour through Avignon Wine Tours with Francois which ended up being one of the highlights of our stay in Provence. Its a small personal one man tour thats picks you up in the morning in Avignon, takes you through the Cotes du Rhone, and drops you back off in Avignon at 5pm. We did a walk around the town and had dinner there before returning to Arles. We felt that was enough time for Avignon

Posted by
273 posts

I believe the market in Arles in Wednesday & Saturday not sunday. At least it was on Saturday when we were there last May.