Please sign in to post.

Interlaken to Venice

I need help. I am getting stressed out trying to figure this out. I am in switzerland for 5 days with my wife and a 2 year old baby and i have ended up buying a swiss pass for us.
We plan to stay in Interlaken and then take a train to Venice.

I have already bought the passes from rail europe and know that they are overcharging. What are my options to take the train to Venice?

Also, do i need to book my reservations right now? or can that wait until i am in switzerland?

Any other tips for traveling in europe's trains with a 2 year old will also help?

Thanks,
Ganesh

Posted by
9099 posts

It's okay to purchase passes from Rail Europe, it's only the point to point tickets they rip you off on.
You shouldn't have any problems purchasing tickets when you're in Interlaken. The quickest connection is 6.5 hours with two changes: depart at 8:06am arrive 2:40pm with changes at Spiez and Brig. The train from Brig to Venice will be on the brand new high-speed tilting train which goes into service on June 1. The fare will be $77USD from Brig to Venice; the other legs are covered by your Swiss Pass. You can check schedules at the Swiss Rail site: www.sbb.ch/en

Posted by
5 posts

A new high speed train from Brig to Venice? That's interesting because I was trying to find a fast train from Brig to Pisa on RailEurope and didn't get anywhere. Do you know where I can get more information on this new train? Thanks.

Posted by
9099 posts

Actually they will be catching the Geneva Airport to Venice high-speed train at Brig. I learned about the new service from a monthly email I received from Swiss Rail, a couple of months ago. As far as I know this is the only route effected.

Posted by
8700 posts

Donna,

Rail Europe's timetables are incomplete. They only show routes for which they sell tickets and they don't show many routes that require connections. (Brig to Pisa requires a minimum of two connections.)

For complete timetables go to www.bahn.de. Click on the drop-down flag menu for English. After you get summary timetables for Brig-Pisa, click on the arrow to the left of each departure time to see the connecting points.