Please sign in to post.

more questions on trenitalia (trains)

From what I gather, people are advising to buy tickets in Italy, and not from Rail Europe (or other vendors). First, does the trenitalia site go down a lot? I wasn't able to get on the past 2 days, but it finally worked today. Next, when trying to view schedules, it seems you can't look more than ~60 days in advance-- otherwise, I keep getting 'no solution found.' Also, is it safe to assume that, the train schedules are usually the same on, for example, every Tuesday? (so, if I can't see a Tues schedule in August, I can look at one in June?). Very confusing!

Posted by
6898 posts

I've never seen Trenitalia go down and I'm on almost daily. True that you cannot look out more than 60 days without getting sketchy results. But, its worse than that. Trenitalia updates their schedules twice a year - mid-June and mid-December. Thus, you can try to look at something on say June 20 and get "no solution found". If you want to see very good schedules, use a date close in. I'm using 5/27 currently. When the schedules update in mid-June, what you see for 5/27 now will change very little if at all. It is confusing until you play around with the site a bit.

Posted by
58 posts

Hmm... ok, I tried using May 27 (like you) and input a departure from Venice (all stations) to Monterosso (Cinque Terre), and the website delivered only 5 choices, all at really early times. What time value do you enter to get a wider time window for choices?

Posted by
58 posts

Thanks, the German website is a little more user friendly. Guess I'll wait for that mid-June release of the new trenitalia schedule...! I agree that, being used to things in the U.S., you feel a little nervous about waiting so late to book your tickets.

Posted by
58 posts

Thanks, Kent and Larry, for all the helpful advice. Here's another naive question-- you've booked and reserved your seats, train, etc. using the computerized kiosks at the station and have your tickets. What happens if you miss your train (on the wrong tracks, or worst yet, headed in the wrong direction)? Do you then need to stand in line at a ticket booth and try to explain your situation (in fractured italian)?

Posted by
6898 posts

JW, Trentialia only shows you five at a time. You need to look at, and use, the red buttons below the 5 you were shown. There are 13 runs for the day. First, put in a really early time such as 05:00. The first five will appear. Then, press "next". You'll see more. Repeat as necessary. www.bahn.de does the same thing but they are kind enough to have a button that says "Later" which seems more intuitive.

Posted by
6898 posts

Larry here. I've never missed a train either but I have read the documentation on the Trenitalia website.

If you miss a train, and you have paid the standard fare, You can make two changes before departure and I believe that you have 3 hours after the train departs to make one change. (The following quote is from Trenitalia's website) "After departure, booking change can be requested only at the ticket desk and the self-service machines in the departure station of the train stated on the ticket".

It is also my understanding that the adjustment will be made for the same journey and class of train. For example, you can't miss a Regionale train and then try for a Eurostar. You can do this but you'll pay the fare difference between the two classes of trains.

If you have a discounted ticket, you will most likely lose the discount if that discount is not available on the new train.