Please sign in to post.

rome day trips

I will be staying in Rome for 10 days as part of my honeymoon after London and Paris...what days trips can I take in Italy fro there and how long do they take? DO I need to by tickets in advance?

Posted by
10344 posts

That's a broad question and we don't have enough information (about your interests, how you're traveling, etc) to answer. Here's some things to get you started in the right direction toward getting answers:1. This website http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en will help you figure out which day trip destinations are within a comfortable travel time, by train, from Rome2. Buy a guidebook and use it to determine what destinations you want to see that are within a comfortable roundtrip travel time. Rick Steves has written Rome 2009 and Italy 2009, in which he suggests possible day trips from Rome.3. Here's an online map that may help http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&tab=wl&q=4. No, you don't need to buy tickets in advance for day trips.When you've narrowed this down, come on back if you have specific questions and we'll try to help.

Posted by
10344 posts

Good, these are more specific questions that we can answer for you:Rome to Venice and back, in a day trip, is not a good day trip--too much travel time. To see why, go to the links given in my first reply.You say you have Rick's Rome book--there's an entire chapter (near the back) on day trips from Rome, including two you haven't listed.

Posted by
23290 posts

Follow Kent's advice. We are here to help answer specific question not plan you whole trip. That is what travel agents get paid to do. Do some homework first.

Posted by
11 posts

I appreciate your advice. I apologize for my lack of information. I have read all of Ricks 2009 Books on London, Paris, Rome, Florence and Tuscany and Venice all which were very informative. I have actually written down and downloaded majority of tours and places to visit. I did not know other than what is stated in the book if there are other places that I should see that are easy to get to from Rome. I hope to visit Florence, Naples and Pompei ( i hope in one day trip). I would like to visit Venice but not sure if it is worth the train ride for one day. From the books that I have read thus far I can not figure out any other day trips from Rome...that is what I was looking for more specifically....maybe Sorrento or so. If you could shed some light on those, tat would be very helpful!