Please sign in to post.

France's daytripper pass

I am going to take the night train from Nice to Paris. The website I was on suggested I get a daytripper pass to save a considerable amount of money. Does anyone have any info. on this pass? Do I need to buy it before I leave N.America or can I buy it in France? I am leaving in 2 days.

Posted by
8700 posts

I did a Google search and found the daytripper pass. You cannot buy it in France and you don't have time to get it mailed to you before you leave. More importantly, it won't save you any money. For Nice-Paris you would have to pay a passholder's supplement for sleeping accommodations on the night train on top of what you paid for the pass.

There are two Nice-Paris night trains. The Corail Lunea leaves Nice Ville at 20:20 and arrives at Gare d'Austerlitz at 07:46. You're probably too late to get discount fares for this train.

The iDNight train leaves Nice Ville at 19:25 and arrives at Gare de Lyon at 07:20. Discount fares are still available for this train. Go to www.tgv-europe.com. To keep the site in English and to keep from being bumped to the Rail Europe site which doesn't offer discount fares, choose Great Britain as both your country of residence and the country in which you will retrieve your tickets. You will be able to pick up your tickets at any SNCF station or boutique (ticket shop) in France, even though you initially chose Great Britain.

Posted by
58 posts

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the information on the night trains. We will be taking the train into Gare Austerlitz. The special rate was still available. I am able to print my ticket at home and show ID when I board. Cheap and convenient. You saved us a bundle.

Thanks again,
Anita

Posted by
8700 posts

You're welcome, Anita. In 2005 my wife and I and our adult daughter took the same train as you will be taking. It worked very well for us.

Bon voyage et bonne chance!