Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre to Rome

Staying two nights in Vernazza. Rick Steves' book indicates one could go from Monterosso to Rome direct as opposed to going to La Spezia and switching to a train to Rome. I would think going from Monterosso would be easier. I would appreciate anyone's experiences.
Also would you recommend reservations for a Monday train to Rome from either location and if so how far in advance.

Posted by
32219 posts

Tom,

Travelling to Monterosso is going in the opposite direction than Rome, so La Spezia would probably be a better choice (even though it means changing trains, which is not really that difficult).

Using an arbitrary date (2 June), I found a train departing Vernazza at 09:21, arriving Roma Termini at 14:14 (Time 4H53M, 1 change at La Spezia, reservations compulsory for the La Spezia/Rome leg via Intercity train).

If you have enough time on your way to Vernazza, stop at the station in La Spezia and buy the tickets (and reservations) for your outgoing journey. If you're unable to do that, take an hour or so during your stay, and take the train from Vernazza to Monterosso and arrange your tickets at the station there. As I recall, Monterosso has a "full service" ticket office, while the smaller towns (Vernazza) had more limited service. However, you might ask at the station in Vernazza. Of course, if you're hiking the trails from Vernazza to Monterosso, you could buy your tickets before taking the local train back to Vernazza.

Happy travels!

Posted by
6898 posts

Actually, there are nine trains departing throuhout the day from La Spezia Centrale to Rome. The trip takes just over 4.0hrs. However, there is one ES*Fast train that departs La Spezia Centrale at 6:51 that takes just over 3.0hrs. It's the fastest run of the day. CLICK HERE to see the list of trains.

Of course that means that you have to get from Vernazza to La Spezia Centrale in time. Not a lot of trains that early in the morning. CLICK HERE to see the two early trains that will make it on time. Or, you can relax and take a later train.

Posted by
12 posts

Ken / Larry Grazie, va benne advice I will check out the websites noted. I do not think we will make the 6:51! after all we are on vacation. Good to know that we can either book something in Monterosso if not ahead of time in La Spezia as we are coming from Florence with a day stop in Pisa on the way to Cinque Terre. Perhaps I will book the Rome train from La Spezia in Florence.
Boun giorno
Tom