Please sign in to post.

Rome to Milan

I want to get to the Cinque Terre from Rome. It looks like my best bet is from Rome to Milan via the Eurostar. The problem I am finding is that it doesn't leave Rome until 6:00pm and arrives in Milan at 10:00pm. Is this the only fast train available? I am finding this hard to believe and would like to leave in the morning. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tracey

Posted by
23343 posts

There is probably 30 a day or more to Milan. Where are you looking and what dates? Train schedules are only available 60 to 90 out. Use bahn.de for schedules. Also use the same day of the week for next month. There is very little change from month to month.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you for your reply. I was on the "Trenitalia" website and I'm confused with entering the date and time? I know military time, and have been putting 9:00, but it keeps bringing up the 18:00 time...I'm certain it is probably my mistake!

Posted by
18 posts

Okay-I have now tried the "Rail Europe" site and it has provided me with NUMEROUS times during the day...My fault...(But I feel better!)
T

Of course, the whole "Helbrunner Pass" thing is disturbing, but that's another issue!

Posted by
8700 posts

If you get timetables from either trenitalia.com or bahn.de for Rome to the Cinque Terre town of your choice, you will most likely be routed along the coast and not through Milan.

Posted by
18 posts

But...I am thinking of high speed train...Not coastal? Thanks, T

Posted by
8700 posts

It's out of your way to go via Milan so it will take a long time, even if some of your legs are on high-speed trains. If you travel via Milan, it will take you 7-8 hours to get to the Cinque Terre. If you travel along the coast, it will take you less than 5 hours.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you....appreciate your input....Doesn't look easy? If I were wealthy, I'd hire a driver!

Posted by
8700 posts

You're welcome.

Actually, according to the Trenitalia timetables, it should be quite simple. Take an ICplus train from Rome to La Spezia. Take a regional train from there to the Cinque Terre town of your choice.

For example, if Vernazza is your destination, you can leave Roma Termini at 07:35, change in La Spezia, and be in Vernazza at 12:19. Or leave at 09:46, change in La Spezia, and arrive at 14:28.

Posted by
6898 posts

As Tim has pointed out, Milan is not on the way to the CT from Rome. There are two main routes from Rome to the CT. One route takes you west to the coast and then north to the CT. The other starts out towards Milan but you transfer to another train in Florence which is 2.5hrs short of Milan. Milan is way out of the way. By the time you get to Milan, you will be in the CT. CLICK HERE to see the morning schedule. The runs with no train changes go along the coast. The runs with train changes go through Florence and Pisa. Your choice.

Posted by
32222 posts

Tracey, as Tim mentioned, your best bet is the direct train from Roma Termini to La Spezia Centrale. It's about a four hour trip and very pleasant. The first stretch is inland but the latter part of the trip is partially along the ocean, and it's beautiful. After a gruelling week of touring in Rome, those views really lift the spirits!

At La Spezia Centrale, it's very simple to transfer to the local (Regional) trains. You should be able to spot the Regionale easily, as it's not as "fancy" as the Intercity trains.

As an example, there's a train departing Roma Termini at 09:46, arriving La Spezia Centrale at 13:51 (Time 4H:05M, no changes, reservations compulsory for the Roma/La Spezia portion).

Which of the five villages will you be staying in? When you buy your ticket in Rome, specify your ultimate destination (whichever village you're staying in), but specify "via La Spezia".

Happy travels!