Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Trafalgar near midnight

We arrive at Heathrow on American Airlines (Terminal 3 I think) Tuesday at 10:40 PM. We will have checked luggage. I am very confused about tube service. Will be be able to make tube connections at that hour? I know there are car services and cabs but golly, the difference in price between the tube (or maybe a night bus?) and those services is huge. Our hotel is the Grand Club Quarters at Trafalgar Square. We're 2 guys and not too concerned about walking to the hotel at that hour from a tube stop. Should we be more concerned? Any suggestions or transportation options for this journey would be very welcomed. We'd dearly love to save those big bucks, but would love even more to be in a bed by 1:00 AM. Thanks!

Posted by
8700 posts

The last Piccadilly line train that goes as far as Piccadilly Circus leaves Heathrow 1-2-3 at 23:46 and arrives at Piccadilly Circus at 00:34. It's a short--and safe--walk from there to Trafalgar Square. If your flight arrives on time and you get through immigration/passport control in a timely manner, you should be able to catch the last train. But it will be close.

Posted by
5525 posts

Denny, You are correct in that you do not need to be concerned about walking to your hotel in the night. As someone who lived in London and walked home many nights alone, I can tell you that there will be many people out and about at this time of night.

I usually come into Heathrow on a flight that arrives around 10pm with checked luggage and have always been able to make the tube connection ... in fact am usually in my hotel in London by 11:30pm. You will probably be ok but will be cutting it close. Someone suggested Piccadilly Circus tube, but I would probably choose to go to Leicester Square and walk down Charing Cross Road towards Trafalgar. But the Piccadilly Circus tube would also work. These two stops are about the same distance from Trafalgar and both on the Piccadilly line.

If you check the tfl.gov.uk site, you can also identify a back up plan. There are buses and other options that run later.

Posted by
8700 posts

I just checked the address of your hotel and discovered that it is closer to the Embankment Underground station than to either Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square. You can still leave Heathrow as late as 23:46. Change to the District line at Hammersmith. Walk a few feet to the other side of the platform and take the District line to Embankment.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you're worried about safety, rest assured that Jack the Ripper only prowls around Whitechapel, well to the east of your hotel... sorry, couldn't help myself with that one...

Posted by
2026 posts

Thank you for all the information. It is a great help to hear from folks and their experiences, and makes planning a trip more fun and effective. Thanks again!