Please sign in to post.

Paris to Rome

We are traveling to Paris, then on to Rome and wanted to know the best way to get there...plane or rail?? First time in Europe, so not sure about rail system. Also considering stopping in Florence for a night or two before heading to Rome. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
6898 posts

The plane is much faster and less expensive. www.airberlin.com and www.vueling.com both fly from Paris-CDG to Rome-FCO. These are both fine budget airlines but read the weight and luggage rules on their website.

The train will take 13.0hrs-15.0hrs. 120-170Euro depending on the train run. CLICK HERE to see what I see on the train schedule.

Posted by
2091 posts

Melody, I tried skyscanner.net (didn't like the price!) and whichbudget.com (reasonable prices) and found flights from Paris to Florence. That way you'd be able to spend time in Florence before catching one of the frequent trains which are available from Florence to Rome.

Posted by
8700 posts

There are no budget airlines that fly Paris-Florence. Your best choice is Paris Orly-Pisa on easyJet. Next best is Paris Beauvais-Pisa on Ryanair. (Beauvais is a long way from Paris.) Take a train directly from the Pisa airport to Florence.

IMO, your best train choice is the direct Paris-Florence night train. If you book ASAP (up to three months allowed) at www.tgv-europe.com, you can get a Prem's fare of €35 for a bunk in a 6-person couchette or €45 for a bunk in a 4-person couchette. 3-bed and 2-bed sleepers are also available. This night train goes on to Rome.

Posted by
6 posts

Darcy, I checked whichbudget.com and could not find any direct flights to Florence. Which airport in Paris is that out of?

Thanks

Posted by
6 posts

Tim, do you know how long train ride is to Florence? Also, would it be easier to fly into Rome then take a day trip into Florence?
Thanks!