Please sign in to post.

Paris to D Day beaches

I would like to make a day trip with my children from Paris to Normandy to see the D Day beaches this fall, but I do not want to rent a car. Any suggestions for a decent tour bus/van company that departs from Paris?

Posted by
32330 posts

Kim,

If you have the France 2009 Guidebook, there are some tour companies listed there that offer day tours from Paris.

If if would fit with your plans, the best method would be to spend one night in Bayeux and take a BattleBus Tour. Their tours are incredible, but they're a full day so not sure how well your children would tolerate that?

Happy travels!

Posted by
23573 posts

Kim, you may not realize how massive the d-day beach area is. The beach by itself is nearly 50 miles east to west and that does not include any of the significant areas behind the beaches. A one day tour from Paris, if available, would be a drive to one area and back. Paris is a far distance from the beaches.

Posted by
180 posts

I would suggest taking a train to Bayeux and spending the night or two nights in Bayeux. The train only stops once before stopping in Bayeux.

Then take a Battlebus Tour of the Normandy/WWII beaches - they have lots of different tours. They are all day tours and some are two days.

The town of Bayeux and very cute and I really enjoyed the town.

The Hotel Churchill was a nice hotel and right in the center of town

Posted by
1589 posts

Kim, it's a loooooong trip with kids for one day.

Posted by
8293 posts

N.B. THIS POST IS OVER FOUR YEARS OLD TO START WITH, AND SHOULD BE IN "TO THE WEST" ANYWAY, NOT HERE.

Posted by
1175 posts

Let me guess -- the designers of this new website recently finished up designing the Obamacare website, right....?

Posted by
1568 posts

I would suggest you follow the advice of Travelfan. We did the trip. First day traveled to Bayeaux...2nd day went on the all day Battle Bus Tour. Left Bayeaux on the 3rd day. Wonderful trip!!!

Battle Bus Tours now can be found at: http://www.ddayhistorian.com/