Please sign in to post.

Rail Travel in Italy

Do the rail cost increase the closer to departure date?

Posted by
4555 posts

Yes, and no. Regular ticket prices won't increase. What DECREASES is the chance of getting Amica fares, which are 20% off regular prices on most intercity routes. They're available until midnight the day before departure, but are of limited number...so once they're gone, they're gone.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks....couple more questions....I'm going from Venice to Florance. Can I buy rail tickets in Venice? Same when I go from Florence to Rome.

my delema is, I can buy the tickets now and get the discount and know the currency exchange rate, however, I have to pay for fedex charges from Italy witch are $18 euro (very expensive).

Posted by
4555 posts

Yes, you can buy your tickets when you arrive in Italy....the earlier you purchase, the better the chances of an Amica fare, so maybe purchase both legs in Venice when you arrive. People are now reporting success in booking in advance at the Italian national rail website, if they register in first and return quickly after their temporary password is e-mailed to them, and if they use a "verified by visa" Visa card. Do a search on this forum to find recent references to the procedure.