Please sign in to post.

GPS question

We have reserved a rental car for one week in Italy, and want to have a GPS. Rather than rent one, we would like to purchase one here and bring it with us. One question: how does one get maps of Italy in English to use on the GPS we purchase in the states? Thank you in advance.

Posted by
10344 posts

Probably it's least costly and easier for you to buy a GPS that comes with a Europe and N. American map pre-loaded. And it may be easier and faster to buy one online: the Garmin, Tom Tom, and Magellan websites clearly describe which of their models come with a Europe map already in it. These maps will all be "in English." That is, when the GPS talks to you and gives you directions on how to get some place, it will do so in English. The street names shown on the GPS screen will be in Italian but that won't be a problem for you because the GPS will speak to you in English.Most of the lower-priced GPS units sold at Costco and other stores do not come with a Europe map already in it.Because you already know you want to use it in Europe, the other option (buying a GPS that doesn't have a Europe map and then buying the Europe map separately on an SD card) probably doesn't make sense for you, it will end up costing more.

Posted by
12172 posts

Get a preloaded GPS. I have a TomTom, people also speak highly of their Garmins. Pick a model with N. American and European maps preloaded.

You don't need maps in English, the voice on the GPS will give you directions in English and the display doesn't need a language to show you are turning right in 2 miles.

Posted by
32212 posts

Kim,

I've been routinely using a GPS unit for the last few years, and it's a great travel accessory. However, they're not infallible, so I still carry a good Map (usually Michelin) as "backup".

As the others have mentioned, it's usually more cost effective to buy a unit that includes the Euro maps. In the Garmin models, the x70 models have both N.A. & Euro maps (ie: 275T).

I've found that while the unit "speaks" in English, it sometimes mispronounces local names. It can also be a bit "finicky" about the spelling of local places. I never trust it completely and always double-check the directions with road signs or map during the trip.

I chose a smaller GPS unit as I wanted one that would easily fit into a pocket so I could use it in "pedestrian mode" also. That's handy for walking around cities.

The one weakness in some of the smaller units is battery life. I try to use it sparingly if I'm going to be out for a full day. Use in the car isn't a problem, as most units are supplied with a cig. lighter cord and windshield mount.

I just updated the Euro maps on my Nuvi 370, and the updates are a bit pricey, but I wanted to have the newest maps (hopefully they will show the ZTL zones!).

Happy travels!

Posted by
1358 posts

You are wise to buy it here for use over there. Buy it with the European maps installed. Use it to become familiar with it before you go.

Before I bought my Garmin I researched buying a GPS at a discount on the internet.

There are scores of places you can buy one at less than retail. Search google for "discount GPS".

I bought mine on the Sears webpage and picked it up at my local Sears store. No freight charge. Another way to save.

Posted by
875 posts

We bought our TomTom 920 at Costco last year which saved us some $$$. European maps are already loaded on TomTom's.

Posted by
9363 posts

Not all TomToms come with European maps preloaded. My first one was a TomTom One - the Europe maps had to purchased separately.

Posted by
4555 posts

Ken brings up a good point about backup maps and the updated maps on your GPS. I got caught in Spain last November with my GPS telling me to enter a highway that was still under construction! I needed the printed map to find my way down the older back roads until I reached the stretch that was completed. You might also want to check the prices at tigerdirect.com . Refurbs of units with European maps like the TomTom 920 are fairly cheap, and you can add a year-long warranty if you wish.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you all so much for your replies to my question, and your insights into GPS use in Europe. Based on your responses, we will purchase our GPS here, with Europe map pre-installed.
Thank you, thank you!
Kim

Posted by
711 posts

Hi Kim... Just a thought. We drive a lot in Europe. Used to use maps, now we take our own GPS. We had a GPS with preloaded European maps, but we find the ones where you actually buy the country chip more detaied and up-to date. We have a Garmin 350 and have the France and Italy chip and we have compared them to the preloaded ones and feel they are more accurate. An example... in France they are adding round-a-bouts everywhere..saves on gas. Our preloaded Garmin says turn right at the corner, but the chip from France has all the round-a-bouts and says enter the round-a-bout, and take the 2nd exit. Just more accurate. It was 100.00- the chips. We love the 350 and do not forget to put a marker on the rental place if you are returning it there to the same place. Makes it a lot easier.Also, if you find a beautiful place you want to return to or a restaurant etc. stop and put a marker on it and name it. Especially in Italy that will make your life easier.