Please sign in to post.

Swiss Rail Pass

Hello!
A swiss pass allows children 15 and under to travel free with an adult. Does a select pass offer the same deal in Switzerland?

Thanks,
Tk

Posted by
19092 posts

Children 4-11 get the Eurail 1st class select pass for 1/2 price.

Posted by
6898 posts

Children up to 15 do travel free with an adult with a Swiss Pass or Card of some type. CLICK HERE to see the info on Swiss Passes and Cards.

Posted by
19092 posts

A "Select pass" is a Eurail pass for 3-5 countries. Even if Switzerland is one of the countries, the Select pass does not include free travel for children under 15. If you want free travel for children in Switzerland, buy the Swiss pass.

Posted by
7209 posts

Sorry, but that's not correct. A Swiss Pass does not give kids <16 free rides. It's the Free Swiss Family Card or the 16CHF Junior Card that gives them free rides. If you buy a Swiss Pass (or some version of it) while in the USA you will receive a free Swiss Family Card. If you do not order in the USA, you can purchase a Junior Card when you get to Switzerland for about 16CHF. Kids <16 can then ride free with paying parents even on the expensive private mountain railways like the Jungfrau.

I'm positive about this because I've done it for the last several years. It's a great bargain.

Posted by
19092 posts

Good point. Apparently, you have to have the Swiss Family Pass for the kids to ride free and, although it is free, you have to specifically ask for it when you get your Swiss Pass.

Posted by
35 posts

Sorry still a little confused.
i am planning to buy a 4 country adult pass with one of the countries being Switzerland. Can I buy my 13 year old a 3 country pass(not picking switzerland as one of the three for him) and have him travel thrugh SWitzerland free when I get the free swiss pass?

Thanks
Tk

Posted by
6898 posts

Tina, if you are indicating that you will have a 4-country Eurail pass and not a Swiss pass or card of some type, I don't think that your child will be able to ride free under your Eurail pass in Switzerland. In Switzerland, the free ride privileges are reserved for holders of a Swiss pass or card of some type. See the link in my above post.

BTW, if you intend to travel from Interlaken Ost into the Latuerbrunnen Valley, the Eurail pass will only cover 25% of fare costs. The Jungfraubahn and the Schilthornbahn, while part of the Swiss train system, have slightly different rules.

Posted by
7209 posts

"The Swiss Family Card is just for families traveling together. And Switzerland is indeed an ideal place to take your family. The Swiss Family Card allows children under 16 to travel free when accompanied by a parent."

...not a parent with a Swiss Pass, not a parent with a Eurail Pass, simply a Parent!

Yes, buy your kid a 3-country Eurail Pass.

Posted by
35 posts

Great info! Thank you for your help.

Tina