Please sign in to post.

trenitalia reservations

What does it mean on Trenitalia, "reservations must be made in Italy"? Going from Nice to Vernazza via Genova PP, do we have to wait till we get to Genova to make a required reservation to the CT?

Posted by
10344 posts

No one here has been able to figure out how to purchase tickets online on the Trenitalia website. Something about American credit cards. We don't know why [edit: looks like we do know why, see Frank's post below], but a hundred people have tried, with no luck.

Posted by
23276 posts

I think we do know why. It looks like a business decision not to accept American (and probably Canadian) credit cards over the internet. I guessing it has to do with fraud issues. The fortunate issue is that there is no real advantage to making a reservation over the internet.

Posted by
8700 posts

Depending upon the time of departure and the particular route, you may be taking one or more trains (EC and IC, for example) that require reservations. If a particular leg starts in Italy (Ventimiglia, for example) and that train requires a reservation, you may need to buy the ticket for that leg while you're waiting to change trains in Ventimiglia and/or in Genova. However, I'd ask at the station in Nice if you can buy tickets there for the entire route, including any legs that require reservations.

Posted by
24 posts

Seems like Trenitalia is very moody. I am from Trinidad and was able to purchase tickets from Milan to Venice. Then a few days later when I tried to get tickets from Venice to Pisa and then to Rome my card kept getting rejected. I think there is a problem with all international cards.

My issue is I need a visa to go to Europe and when applying at the Embassy you have to show your itinerary and all bookings. We have an open jaw flight leaving out of Rome and we are just hoping to buy our tickets when we get to Venice. Hopefully the Embassy is understanding.