Please sign in to post.

Swiss rail pass question

Can anyone comment on whether it is best to get first class tic on the swiss trains or just settle for second class? Thank you!

Posted by
9101 posts

Second class is fine and there are usually plenty of empty seats. If you happen to be passing through one of the big cities during rush hour, trains can get crowded, but for most folks on the tourist trail it's not a big deal.

Posted by
46 posts

I just got back from 10 days in Switzerland. I used the trains extensively so I got a 2nd class Swiss Saver Pass. I was on two trains where reservations were recommended, but there were plenty of seats available that were not reserved.

Posted by
504 posts

We were there in July and no problems finding seats in 2nd class on trains. Plenty of room.

Posted by
1358 posts

I can agree with others who choose 2nd over 1st. I had no problems in using 2nd class tickets for a whole week several years ago.

Posted by
2023 posts

Thanks to all replies--second class is the way we will travel on the SRP.

Posted by
7209 posts

Really the only major difference I saw was on the boats. The upstairs deck on the boat is reserved exclusively for 1st Class. This is not a big deal. However, if you are traveling with kids...like I was...the one place they most ABSOLUTELY will want to visit is the "upstairs" on the boat. ha

But with a 2nd class SRP you can always choose to pay the nominal difference and upgrade to a 1st class ticket on that particular voyage. Again, not a big deal unless you just MUST be on the upper deck of the boat.

Switzerland is an absolutely beautiful place and 2nd class tickets will get you comfortbly anywhere you want to go...and just as quickly as the 1st class ticket!

Posted by
3551 posts

I am buying second class for July travel.
If you are an elitist you might be happier w/ first.